IKEA - MONGSTAD Mirror Hack

$60

This mirror was really fun to do! It was my first time doing an abstract piece based off a photo a client gave me.

This IKEA mirror shockingly only ones in one colour - this black dark brown colour? - which isn’t really the style right now. My customer wanted it to suit her beach vibe master bedroom! And her vision was based on a Pinterest photo. So here is my shot at recreating it 🤗🤗

would love to hear feedback! - I know this won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. But my client was very happy. And that’s what matters!

Check out my Instagram and support me by clicking the follow button 😉 greatly appreciated 🥰

Also my website : flopornotdesigns.com subscribe for more DIY 🖤

Before - customers mirror

Sand and tape off

I rough sanded With 150 grit orbital sander. And taped off the mirror so no paint or products got on it.

Try to see what client wants

CLIENTS PINTEREST INSPIRED PHOTO

Something like I have never done before, layering paint, thinking paints, antique oil rub ect. So I was nervous I wouldn’t be able to grasp what she wanted.

Mixing paint

The first thing I did was decided what colour to get the base charcoal colour as seen in the photo.

I mixed country grey varathanes chalk paint with coal black fusion mineral paint to get a Smokey grey.

and than I used a pure white paint THINED with water, to make a bit of a white wash.

I layered the two

I added the Smokey grey and covered the entire mirror, one it was dry, I added my white washed pure white paint by gently swiping my paint brush in long motions - with very little amount on my paint brush.

I also used varathanes antique Smokey glaze over top of the paint layers.

SCUFF - sand

I used a 120 grit sanding block and scuffed the whole mirror, distressing the layers of paint. Than I used steel wool and did the same thing.

I top coated once it was the desired look

Using varathanes satin water-based interior top coat.

Staging the finished product

Plants always 🌱

Mirror editing - still practicing lol

Still haven’t nailed my mirror reflection editing so here’s a photo of me staging it haha.

Thank you for following along!

32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Everything Red For Canada Day
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home