IKEA - MONGSTAD Mirror Hack

$60

This mirror was really fun to do! It was my first time doing an abstract piece based off a photo a client gave me.

This IKEA mirror shockingly only ones in one colour - this black dark brown colour? - which isn’t really the style right now. My customer wanted it to suit her beach vibe master bedroom! And her vision was based on a Pinterest photo. So here is my shot at recreating it 🤗🤗

would love to hear feedback! - I know this won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. But my client was very happy. And that’s what matters!

Check out my Instagram and support me by clicking the follow button 😉 greatly appreciated 🥰

Also my website : flopornotdesigns.com subscribe for more DIY 🖤

Before - customers mirror
Sand and tape off

I rough sanded With 150 grit orbital sander. And taped off the mirror so no paint or products got on it.

CLIENTS PINTEREST INSPIRED PHOTO
Try to see what client wants

Something like I have never done before, layering paint, thinking paints, antique oil rub ect. So I was nervous I wouldn’t be able to grasp what she wanted.

Mixing paint

The first thing I did was decided what colour to get the base charcoal colour as seen in the photo.

I mixed country grey varathanes chalk paint with coal black fusion mineral paint to get a Smokey grey.

and than I used a pure white paint THINED with water, to make a bit of a white wash.

I layered the two

I added the Smokey grey and covered the entire mirror, one it was dry, I added my white washed pure white paint by gently swiping my paint brush in long motions - with very little amount on my paint brush.

I also used varathanes antique Smokey glaze over top of the paint layers.

SCUFF - sand

I used a 120 grit sanding block and scuffed the whole mirror, distressing the layers of paint. Than I used steel wool and did the same thing.

I top coated once it was the desired look

Using varathanes satin water-based interior top coat.

Staging the finished product

Plants always 🌱

Mirror editing - still practicing lol

Still haven’t nailed my mirror reflection editing so here’s a photo of me staging it haha.

Thank you for following along!

Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home