Sewing Box Update

$10

While walking through the local thrift store, I saw this sewing box sitting on a bottom shelf. My grandmother had one just like it and to be honest, I have no idea what happened to it. But here was another one, looking pretty humble.

The finish was worn, the veneer was chipped, and it came home with me.

The first step was to glue all the loose veneer on the legs. I used wood glue and added binder clips to act as clamps...there's a little tip for you!

After the glue was dry, I did some filling with wood putty, sanded, and painted the legs, sides, and top with Ocean chalk paint. 

After two coats, I distressed the edges and it was time for decoupage! I scuffed the finish a bit with 220 grit sandpaper and wiped away the dust. The Mod Podge was brushed on, making sure to get it into the edge.  

After separating the layers, I placed the napkin on the wood and carefully smoothed it down.

I have a full tutorial on decoupaging with napkins that you can read here: https://theapplestreetcottage.blogspot.com/2017/10/how-to-decoupage-dresser-drawers-with.html

Out came the plastic wrap to smooth out the wrinkles.  

After everything dried, the edges were trimmed with an exacto knife and a second coat of Mod Podge was applied. 

I painted the knobs with gold craft paint so they would stand-out a bit.

And it was done. The inside was in good shape, so I didn't have to do anything to it.

Here's another decoupage project you may be interested in:

https://theapplestreetcottage.blogspot.com/2019/07/small-curio-cabinet.html

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Perfectly Round Tables
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Ann|The  Apple Street Cottage

• LibraryKAT

Very pretty! A nice save; I liked the patterned paper you chose. Did you leave the inside plain wood? Thanks for sharing. :-)

• Sharon

I have a sewing box I want to try this on. The box is a darker color. My napkin is a sunflower design on a beige background. Will the dark wood show through? Do I need to lighten it up somehow?

• Yes, it probably will show through. Scuff it with sandpaper and give it a coat of white paint before decoupaging it and you should be fine!

• Peggy

I love how it came out! Beautiful job. I found one almost exactly like it only mine has legs and the inside is pretty worn. Any suggestions on what to do with the inside?