Take Your Room to the Next Level With This DIY Sponge Accent Wall

$20

I had a blank wall in my mudroom that was screaming for something special. I decided to create a sponge accent wall. Sponge painted walls were all the rage in the nineties, but nowadays they seem a bit outdated. By doing a geometric pattern with a sponge, instead of just sponge painting the entire thing, I was able to bring sponge painting into the 21st century! This technique is easy and doesn’t require any specialty tools or skill. Check out my step-by-step tutorial below to get started painting your own walls today!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials:

• Tape measure
  • Pencil
  • Painter’s tape
  • Sponge
  • Paint

Measure the Wall

Measure the Wall

I started by measuring my wall to make sure that I could create an even repeating pattern. I figured out how wide each pattern repeat needed to be and then marked on my wall where each would be sponged on. Each pattern repeat was eight inches wide, so I measured eight inches and then added another two inches for the painter’s tape which would separate each pattern repeat.

Stick on Painter’s Tape

Stick on Painter’s Tape

I would be using painter’s tape to separate each pattern repeat, so I stuck it in place on my wall before I started painting. Starting from the bottom, I taped a line as straight as possible and then pressed down to make sure that it was secure. I repeated this across the entire wall.

Taped Off Wall

Apply the Sponge Pattern

Dip the Sponge in Paint

For this sponge pattern I just used a simple kitchen sponge that you can pick up at any supermarket. I wanted it to be quite thick, so I chose a thick sponge, but you can use whatever sponge you like to get your desired effect.

Dab Off Excess

When sponge painting, it’s important to pick up as little paint as possible. You don’t want drips in your pattern, so make sure to dab off most of the paint onto a piece of cardboard or a scrap piece of paper. I like it to have a good amount of coverage, but still show that it is a sponge treatment and not a stencil.

Apply the Sponge Pattern

I used the painter’s tape as a guide for how to angle my sponge and how to properly space it. I repeated this process up the entire wall, occasionally dipping my sponge in more paint and dabbing off the excess.

Repeat

You really can’t mess up this technique and the end result is amazing! Once I had painted the entire wall I removed the painter’s tape and touched up any spots that needed it with my sponge.

Remove Painter's Tape

DIY Accent Wall

I hung up a cute sign and my mudroom was complete! How would you use this technique in your own home? Let me know in the comments below!

Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Moms Without Answers

• Tracey

I love this! Would doing all the walls in a powder room be too much?

• Joanie

If ya got kids ya need a mudroom. Hooks, rugs and the sign I love....The Mud stops here.......Cool beans!!

• Patte

Wonderful and unique wall art. Well done and striking. Bravo!!