How to get rid of weed stickers in yard

Maura WhiteCarrie @ Curly Crafty MomBetsy
+9

Can't walk in yard without shoes anymore unless I was a bunch of thorn stickers in your feet how to I get rid of these ? Every year they seem to get worse they seem to go with the ants they to get worse with them

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Heather, I find my yard is more likely to see stickers when it gets real dry and in the places where the soil is poorer quality. I'm wondering if a weed and feed and some watering wouldn't do a bunch of good to help your situation.

• Cynthia H

We dig ours out. So far so good. Stay safe and well!

• Ken Erickson

Eliminating the weeds is step one. I never walk barefoot.

• Dee

It is the seed pods that cause problems as they produce sharp spines as they mature. The spines on the pods can painfully puncture feet when walked on barefooted.

Once the spiny seed pods have formed, there is nothing you can do to alleviate the problem. So, it's really too late to deal with this weed this year.

Here's how to make sure you don't have a problem next spring. A two-prong approach will work best when controlling burweed or sticker weed. The first effort is preemptive and involves the use of a preemergence herbicide or weed preventer. A preemergence herbicide is applied before the seeds start germinating in the fall, and it kills the seeds as they germinate.

Early application before seeds germinate is critical. Apply the preemergence herbicide in early October following label directions. Looks for products such as Sta-Green Crab-Ex, Green Light Crabgrass Preventer 2, Hi-Yield Turf and Ornamental Weed and Grass Stopper, Scotts Halts and other brands at your local nursery. (Ask the staff to help you select the proper product.) That's the first line of attack.

Then, look over your lawn very carefully in December, January and February. If you see any young plants that managed to get by the preemergence herbicide application, spray the lawn with a lawn weed killer like Weed B Gon, Weed Free Zone, Atrazine or other brands at your local nursery. If needed, you could make a second application following label directions. That's your second line of attack.

• Sharon

Here is some good advice... https://gardenerdy.com/how-to-get-rid-of-goathead-weeds you can get a Grandpa's Weeder that will pull it out by the tap root, I got mine at True Value Hardware store... I use it on dandelions.... https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=grandpa%27s+weed+puller&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

• Cindy

Hi Heather. I had a sticker problem a few years back. I discovered that the seed mix I used in my bird feeders had thistle seeds mixed in. The thistle seeds grow into a sticker weed. I dug the stickers out by hand because I wanted to pull the roots out too. Now my husband puts Scott's weed and feed down and we haven't seen the stickers again. Good luck Heather.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Heather, yes we all love to walk in the grass without getting stuck. I hope this helps you.

How to Get Rid of Stickers in the Yard | Hunker - Pinterest

www.pinterest.com › pin

Homemade Weed Killer That Is Safe for Grass | Hunker. There are many homemade remedies that can kill weeds, such as soap, salt, white vinegar ...

Hi Heather: If you think that the ants are farming the stickers, you need to get rid of the ants. This is what I used for my ant problem, it may work for you, too.

Make a mix of 1/2 baking soda and 1/2 powdered sugar. Mix well and put around the spots they are in your garden, or inside your home, it's harmless to people and pets. For outside use, you can put it in a bottle, like a pill bottle or something like that. Cut a hole on the edge of the cap, and lay the bottle on it's side so the ants can come in and get the mix. This way, it stays dry if it should rain. They will take it back to the nest and it should kill them. I'd keep it out there all season if you can. The mix makes a gas and the ants can't pass gas, so it kills them. Anything else that eats it will just taste the baking soda and say "Yuck" and walk off. It won't hurt anything that can pass gas, so it's completely safe. It helps to know what type of ant you are trying to get rid of, too. Try this site, scrolling down to see the different types of ants and how to deal with them. https://www.thespruce.com/ant-control-4127879 Good luck.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would dig them out or twist and pull to get the root bulb out.

• Maura White

We've actually gone around our yard and dug up each one. A huge pain initially - but then they are gone for good.