DIY Picture Frame Shelf

$15

I had a shelf up in my daughter’s room as she loves to display her artwork and nature finds from bush walks etc, however we were running out of space on it so I decided to make her a new wall length shelf using timber skirting boards.

BEFORE

I also felt like her room was lacking a little colour and warmth so I decided to incorporate the new shelving I had planned into a feature wall.

Timber for the shelves

I purchased 2 different styles of timber skirting boards to make the shelves. For the bottom piece I chose a style that had a colonial profile so that it would be a nice feature. For the top piece I chose a “bullnose” (as we call it in Australia) skirting, as this would be used as the actual shelf.

I first measured the distance of the wall and then cut my two pieces of timber to size - I made them slightly smaller than the length of the wall to allow some room to later position them into place without scratching the joining walls.

Next, I laid the colonial piece flat and positioned the bullnose piece on top with the back facing up.

Attaching the boards together

I then screwed them together, predrilling first to prevent the timber from cracking. I made sure to put a screw roughly every 30cm so that it would be strong and sturdy along the whole shelf.

Attaching to the wall

I then screwed it to the wall through the bottom piece (colonial). I also added a couple of little hooks for my daughter to hang her jackets etc on.

Before attaching it to the wall I had also repainted the bottom section of her wall in a bright pink shade that she had chosen, so the final result was quite a nice feature, and the grooves in the back of the top skirting board work perfect for keeping her picture frames in place. 👌🏻

For more of my DIY projects please check out my Instagram page @_prettyliving ❤️

End result

25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:

To see more: //www.instagram.com/_prettyliving