Pool Ladder Organizer

$60

I converted an old pool ladder into an attractive and useful organizing system for chairs, rafts and towels.

What a wreck!

This before almost needs no words.

The area around my pool was always a cluster of a mess littered with lawn chairs, wet towels, rafts and noodles.

Worse yet, any high winds would send some of the items into my neighbors' yards and I'd have to go searching for them constantly.

Old pool ladder

I already had a small but very tired looking pool ladder on hand and considered taking it to recycling many times. One day I took a look at it in a new way and saw the potential to use it as storage. The first step was taking it apart. Many of the nuts and bolts were rusted, so I needed to be careful.

Fresh coat of paint

Once disassembled, I got to work covering the faded blue plastic with bright yellow spray paint. Make sure to use a product that is approved for plastic.

Tape off areas on the pool ladder as needed

Fresh coat of white paint

I brightened the rails with a fresh coat of white spray paint since much of it was dingy and rusted in areas. Make sure to use paint approved for metal.

Reassemble the ladder

Once completely dry, I reassembled the ladder.

Creating a base

Because I'm a flag builder, I always have a good supply of pallets laying around. I took several planks and painted them with outdoor white paint. Whatever base you choose, make sure it will hold up to being left outside unless it is to be stored under a roof.

Next, I put the base together

When designing a base, be mindful to map out where the ladder feet will attach. It would've been a real bummer to build this and realize the ladder attached at points where the slats were open!

I used 13 slats and my base measures 40 X 50" and 12" high (15" with casters).

The ladder is 46" long at the base.

Adding casters

Because my organizer is in my yard during the summer months, I added 3" casters to make it easy to move when mowing or storing during the winter.

Secure ladder to the base

This can be accomplished easily by using U bolts.

Taking shape

I added hooks to the top platform for wet towels or suits to dry.

Trying out my invention

Finished product!

To my delight, everything that was once scattered across my lawn is now neatly organized using this system.

A breakdown: Lawn chairs and pool noodles tuck neatly underneath, rafts are stored securely in the center, towels are hung on the ladder rungs, items can be hung on the hooks, a basket at the top corrals sunglasses and lotions, the net slides down through the top row of slats and rests on the bottom row. It's kept securely in place by angling one set of hooks.

*See humorous video set to Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini by Brian Hyland

Itsy Bitsy Pool Organizer

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas

• San87tx

Great idea Jennifer!! You are super smart. Is there any way instead of a pool float being blown up could you fold it and put it at the bottom of the pallet?

• Cynthia McInnis

You are smart young lady! Great Idea cant wait to make one!!