Asked on Jul 22, 2020

How to re-do wood that has rot?

DriftAwayDayKen EricksonVimarhonor


12 answers
  • Chloe Crabtree
    on Jul 22, 2020

    Repairing rotted wood is a tricky procedure. Wood-patching products that are highly resistant to water must be used. Among these products are Minwax's High Performance Wood Filler, Mr. ... Once the putty has hardened, it can be worked much like wood and smoothed or shaped with tools such as chisels, rasps and sandpaper.,High%20Performance%20Wood%20Filler%2C%20Mr.&text=Once%20the%20putty%20has%20hardened,as%20chisels%2C%20rasps%20and%20sandpaper.

  • GrandmasHouseDIY
    on Jul 22, 2020

    It really depends on what the job the wood is currently doing. If you have studs/a rotting wall - it needs to be replaced. Really, any wood that's rotting will need to basically be replaced but, depending on the situation, it may or may not be a current emergency. Rotting trim can be patched etc. If the rot isn't throughout but the wood is just "damp" there is the chance it could be dried out by removing it from its current environment

  • Dee
    on Jul 22, 2020

    What area of wood has rotted. If it is by a door you can clean it out well and use Bondo or get the Heavy Duty Minwax wood filler

  • Kathy Gunter Law
    on Jul 22, 2020

    The only options are to replace it or shore it with another piece. Depending on where it is, you may be able to replace a section. Sometimes when a floor joist has rot, you can cover with black felt to prevent the spread then add beams on each side to strengthen it. But your best bet is replacement.

  • Recreated Designs
    on Jul 22, 2020

    Hi, you should be able to fill the rotted out area with a wood filler. It will fill in the area well and when it is hardened can be smoothed out to a nice even finish. Be sure to clean out the area first of any look wood chips.

  • Flipturn
    on Jul 23, 2020

    Where is the wood, and what are you planning to do with it once it has been replaced? Posting a picture of the area in question would help illustrate what your situation is.

  • Cynthia H
    on Jul 23, 2020

    You have a couple of options for repair the areas. You can cut out the area and patch it, or you can use an epoxy filler that won't rot. This is a product I have used. Good luck and stay safe!

  • Cindy
    on Jul 23, 2020

    Hi DriftAway. Rotted wood cannot be repaired. You should replace any rotted wood with new wood.

  • Simple Nature Decor
    on Jul 23, 2020

    This got good reviews for rot

  • Vimarhonor
    on Jul 23, 2020

    Hello. Can you post a picture to see your situation extent of your problem?

    There’s all types of wood damage someis cosmetics others are structural.

    We routinely replace the deck boards when they are rotted.

    On smaller areas like doorway moldings where it it’s only a cosmetic problem we have remove the wood rot with a chisel replaced the area with either some pressure-treated wood or Bondo or Epoxy putty.

  • Ken Erickson
    on Jul 23, 2020

    There are patching products that can be used. Clean out rotted area and then fill area back in and shape to match the surrounding wood. This all depends on where and how much rot you have. Complete replacement may be required.

  • DriftAwayDay
    on Jul 23, 2020

    Thanks so much for replies. It is a very old, very heavy church "bench" - not a pew. Obviously handmade about 8 ft. long. I found Bondo two-part epoxy repair for rotted wood. I will clean/ sand very well & apply in thin layers to build-up. Another product was a liquid w/ brush applicator attached to lid (like rubber cement) I think this would be applied before the epoxy. Don't recall name of product but it keeps rot from spreading. Both for smaller projects of course. Thanks again for replies!

Your comment...