We began brain storming these ideas early spring leaving the before picture fairly snow covered but you get the over all layout.
We decided to add some life to our backyard with a much need makeover. Doing all the work myself with a little help from some friends I am happy to walk you through the excitement.
Knowing I had never installed a pool I spent a few notes scrolling the YouTube university until I felt comfortable. I hauled in a skid loader and started to level the ground off.
Using a level I was able to achieve a fairly level pad the remaining could be changed by hand. I started with assembling and leveling the lower trim ring for the pool. This rested on several concrete blocks which were recessed below the surface.
Once the lower ring was set I wheeled in the sand and piled this in the middle of the pool area. At this point with the help of a friend I was able to roll out and setup the steel pool side “definitely not a one man task”. Once the pool sides were up I leveled the sand across the bottom a good 3-4 sand base with a little bank up the sides.
Once the sand was leveled off and tamped the liner was set into place and carefully stretched and placed. Using a shop vac on this step was important it helped vacuum the liner into place and allowed me to remove wrinkles. Time to start filing with water.
Pool is in and filling not a hard task but not an easy DIY. At this point after grounding the base of the pool I started backfilling 2ft around the perimeter with river rock.
After pool filled about 6 inches below the skimmer I then cut the liner out to install the skimmer and return lines as well as hooked up the pool equipment. Then allowed pool to continue filing.
Using pvc and a few more YouTube videos I completed the pool plumbing and added a cool water feature. I did allow an electrician to complete the electrical portion here for me.
While moving around on the skid loader did I mention I totally destroyed my yard haha I swear it didn’t seem that wet back here.
After relocating a few bushes from the deck I used a few concrete forms to layout a nice design (this part is my everyday work I’m used to doing)
Once forms were set and level I wheeled in some stone and graded for the base for the concrete.
Concrete day came quick. You’ll see here we decided on a stamped and colored patio. This pattern is a mid evil cobble stone pattern and an antique release agent.
Next day I was able to pressure wash and seal the concrete this really shows how nice the color and pattern is.
This pile of wood doesn’t look like much but I had a plan. I build 2 identical boxes at 3ft by 5ft and used 4x4 at each corner.
After securing 1 box at the bottom and one at the top I was able to stand this up and add a few more 2x4 to build the roof structure. All wood used was pressure treated for outdoors.
With the grill set I covered sides and built a door on front for easy maintenance and cleaning. Everything looked good so it was time to stain.
What’s a pool without a deck. We already had our existing deck so adding on to this structure was fairly simple.
Using 4x4 post and 2x10 I created the main framing and layout for the deck. Post near existing deck were connected using lag bolts. Other post were placed level on concrete block.
With framing complete and stairs in place and set each deck board was added. This is were the deck becomes solid as each board is secured.
To keep everything safe railings were added as the main purpose of this deck was for the pool. Railing were prebuilt and only needed cut to size and installed.
Another gate was added to match at the bottom of the stairs. This gate can be locked for security and safety. This wrapped up this portion of the deck.
I did provide storage under the deck for pool supplies and floats and what better way to utilize a door than by adding an outdoor tv to entertain and watch a few games.
Using a cedarcide product we were able to speed up the rate at which the pressure treated wood dries out. This allowed us to stain after 72 hrs.
Night time view is amazing definitely creating an awesome space
The existing deck was roughly 30 years old plenty of layers of stain created poor drainage and some of the old boards were beginning to rot. Replacement was needed. Each board was carefully removed and replaced using 2x6 pressure treated boards with proper gaps for drainage.
Back corner of the deck had this smaller area under a nice tree that was just asking for a water feature. Using a water trough from tractor supply I made sure placement for everything would work out before ordering needed materials.
Using a spillway and pump ordered on amazon I constructed a cool setup between the railings and connected everything together to recirculate the water from the trough.
I went into this with only a vision and couldn’t be more happy with the turnout. Love the sound of running water. The pump was placed on a timer to only run certain times.
Railings were all replaced to keep all portions of the deck matching and deck was then stained.
Tried to capture everything within a post feel free to reach out for any details I would be happy to provide more pictures or instructions on.