How to Edge a Flower Bed

$45

There are many ways to edge a flower bed. Often times, you can simply buy some type of paver and then line your flower bed with those, but that can be costly.

This way will be really cheap but will require some hard work.

The good news is that your flower bed will look like the pros edged it for you!

For more home improvement projects, DIY projects and decorating ideas, check out my blog.

Gather your materials

All you need for this is yourself and a shovel! I like to use this half moon border edger shovel.

Shovel out the edge

Now you're ready to get to work and start shoveling. You can either follow your overgrown flower bed edge with your shovel or make a new edge.

The half moon shovel will make it fairly easy to shovel out in a straight line.

Keep going until it looks like this

Once you've gone a good distance, your edge should look like this.

Mulch

When you're done digging out your edge, it's time to mulch. You can see my partially mulched flower bed here. When you mulch, make sure to not fill the mulch so high that it meets your new edge.

You want enough edge sticking up over the mulch that you actually see it!

That's it, you're done!

Make sure to subscribe to my blog for more fun ideas!

16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Marly Dice

• Laurie Kilts

Beautiful- nothing looks as lovely as a pristine border to a garden bed! I live in a 4-season climate. Previous owners used a dug in black bendable plastic border (which has seen better days!) around my now established beds that completely surround entire perimeter of lawn in the backyard. Should I simply replace old border with more of same? Or??? I'm 65, female, & alone :( I am no longer able to maintain my home & yard, & cannot afford to hire help, so must sell within the next 2 yrs to down-size. So, I'm looking for the nicest/cheapest/easiest way to go! Plus...I'd previously laid weed cloth, then mulch in my beds, but w/in a few years developed nasty white mold & a mushroom farm (ha!). I was told due to the wood mulch not having a proper place for natural decomposition. Have removed all cloth/mulch & now thinking of laying rubber mulch (like used in playgrounds) to help control weeds & beautify beds. Should I go ahead and use weed cloth beneath since rubber doesn't decompose? Feeling completely overwhelmed, scared & confused!! I would sooo appreciate any & all advice, opinions etc., re any portion of my concerns! Thank you fellow DIY'ers! :~)

• Flipturn

If you put a layer of landscaping fabric down first before you lay the mulch, it is going to help hold back the weeds. Or at least, lay a thick strip of landscaping fabric all along the edge to help maintain the defining line, and to help prevent the grass from pushing into your flower bed. The key word here is help; it will not totally prevent any weeds from appearing.

• Elaine Spearman

I would use cardboard or something that will decompose because from experience I've bought everything from the really heavy to lightweight landscape fabric and sooner or later I get weeds or grass coming up in it and if I try to pull up the fabric or remove the mulch and pull up the fabric, the fabric won't pull up and when I try to till the area to get rid of the weeds the fabric just winds around the tiller blades and I can't get anywhere with it. I've had to use 2 gallons of Roundup this year to get rid of the weeds and crabgrass that have started to show up behind my border plants where it comes under the fence from my neighbour's yard.

• Flipturn

If you live in a climate zone that gets lots of rain during the fall and winter season, putting down cardboard instead of landscaping fabric will soon result in one big mucky moldy mess. Cardboard does not allow water to drain away the way proper fabric, or river rock does.