How do I get my grass to grow back?

BetsyKmdreamerCheryl A
+14

Hello! My grass have been dead for a while and it’s not growing back. Will it even grow back or is I just going to stay dead? Any advice on how to get it to grow back would help!

• Vimarhonor

Hello. Have you had your soil tested? It’s recommended every few years. With that information you can identify what your soil needs for optimal turf growing.

Additionally for the best local professional advice

I would highly suggest contacting your cooperative extension. These offices are manned by volunteer master gardeners on site there waiting to answer the communities questions that know your local situation quite well.

Master gardeners are required to volunteer back designated hours ( plus continuing education) each year to maintain MG certification -this community outreach and education is their goal.

If your office is closed....there Might be alternative online venues like Ask an Expert as well as emailing your local master gardeners extension office for their

guidance.... in a non contact manner.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Harley, why did your grass die to begin with so that it needs to grow back? There are many contributing to factors on why grass may die and until those factors are removed the grass will probably not grow back.

• Nan W.

Harley: maybe it's too shady or wet in that area. Or... one thing I've done is get GOOD garden soil and easy a thick layer --- then sod pieces. Water WELL for 3-4 weeks.

• Oliva

Is your grass dead due to insect infestation, animal damage, excessive drought, or is this a new home with builder's grass seed that rarely lives long? Did you cut your grass too short?

Did you have the soil tested?

What type of grass seed was planted? Some go dormant in extreme heat but regrow in cooler weather. Some grass can be damaged by animals urinating on the grass (deer can do damage to very large sections, depending upon the size of the herd).

Japanese beetles will also do major damage to lawns. You need to know specifically what you're dealing with, to find the correct remedy. Have your neighbors had this problem?

• Maura White

You may need to add some more grass seed and cover it with a bit of straw so that the seeds to wash away or clump into one location. Otherwise just weeds will grow where the grass died.

• Simple Nature Decor

Rake it well and reseed the lawn

• Mogie

If it was me I would start over. Kill what is there and alive if any, till and amend and then reseed.

You need to address whatever issue killed your lawn to begin with and correct that so you don't have the same problem again.

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Harley, sorry you have dead grass. I hope this helps you. Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

You will also see the difference when you start to water or when rain returns as moisture will revive brown grass. However, it will not bring dead grass plants back to life.

How to Revive Dead Grass - Repair Your Dormant Lawn Today

gilmour.com › Tips & Techniques › Lawn & Yard Care

• Cynthia H

We used Scott's Seed and Feed when our lawn got patchy it it filled in very nicely. Some grass grows under only certain conditions (full sun, shade, etc.) so you want to consider your yard, the type of grass seed you'll need and you can get your soil tested for optimal fertilizing. Good luck and stay safe!

• Ken Erickson

If too far gone, you may want to remove it and replant

• Kathy Gunter Law

It would depend on what happened to kill it. If you used a herbicide, it could have killed your soil for a few years. You best bet would be to amend the soil or add topsoil. Then start over.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Check out the products on Amazon for growing grass. Read the costumer reviews to see how well the products work.

• Sharon

My grass and my neighbors always goes dead in Aug - Sept. Then when the rainy season starts it grows back, but one year we had a drought and one section did not come back. I do put Scott's Weed and Feed on it each fall which helps it grow back lush and fill in any dead areas. Rake out the dead area, and then mix some top soil and grass seed in a bucket and throw it around the dead area(s). And if its dry, water daily for a few weeks.

• Cheryl A

you need to fertilize your grass and also use weed killers as well- you could hire a service that comes monthly or quarterly to do this for you or buy the items and do it yourself

• Kmdreamer

Water it every day for two weeks it wil grow

Hi Harley. Boy, you are having problems inside and out :) For your grass, rake away any dead grass and rough up the area with your rake. You can even remove some of the dirt and replace it with top soil. Water it pretty good and then put down some grass seed and cover the area with straw. Otherwise the birds will have a feast! After a couple of days, move a bit of the straw and see if the area is still moist. If not, water it, on top of the straw. After a week, you should see some grass growing. You can remove the straw gently and water again. Keep the area moist by watering every day with a gentle spray and you should be o.k. Good luck