Using Stock Upper Cabinets for Built Ins

$500

I have been wanting to create built-ins in our downstairs family room forever now, but didn’t really know how I wanted to go about it. So while we were at the Cottage a few weeks ago I figured I would create built ins on this wall as my practice project.

This wall was basically a blank slate. It looked cluttered with items shoved on top the little table as well as overflowing storage in the box below. We desperately needed storage.

Instead of starting shelves and cabinets from scratch, we purchased basic stock, unfinished cabinets from Lowes. 

For our space, we purchased two 30×30 upper cabinets as well as two 36×30 cabinets. Once we got them into the space they needed to be leveled. Since our Cottage is old it’s very uneven. With the help of shims we got them perfectly leveled!

For the top of the cabinet, we used a 1×12 piece of pine and played it across. Since the upper cabinets are 12′ deep we also put a 1×3 in the back so the 1×12 would create a small overhang on the cabinets to give it a finished look.

For the shelves on top of the cabinets, we used 2×10 boards. We created a frame attached to the wall, ceiling and down the side. 

We then screwed in our shelves at the height we wanted.

I painted the cabinets and shelves using Benjamin Moore’s Advanced paint in Simply white. The same paint I used on my  kitchen cabinets.

What a huge difference this has made in the room. So much needed storage, a non cluttered wall and I think it actually makes the room look bigger!

Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Tara Boettger

• Linda Carnes

Why upper cabinets rather than lower?

• Wanda cooper

Love it, I'm stealing your idea!!! Thanks so much!! Gah!!! Why didn't I think of this???

• Martha

It looks like you added a toekick. How did you do it?

• Martha

Thanks. Yeah, that is what it looks like. They have to be high enough for the doors to swing out but not too high.

• Genevieve Mehan

We are adding on to our home, so my husband will have a billiards room (& I can have my garage back lol) and I was planning a wall of closets/cabinets and this beautiful project just did some of the planning work for me. Thank you!

• Marjorie Underwood

Looks terrific. Beautiful job!