Easy DIY Painted Arch

$40

A painted color block is an easy and budget friendly way to create interest on a plain wall. In this tutorial I will teach you how to create the perfect arch for your space!

Supplies

Before

For this project you will need:

A Level

String

Pencil

Paint of choice (I used Behr BLACK in satin) small amount of original paint color.

Paint brush

Small artist brush

Painters Tape

Roller (optional, but recommended for faster coverage)

Decide your arch size

Make sure your level is straight

Before you start, you’ll want to figure how wide and long you want to make your arch. Once you’ve decided, take your level and draw a straight line across the width of your arch. My arch starts in the middle of the wall, if you want to make your arch lower or floor length, that’s where you’ll draw your first line.

Draw sides and top

Using your level, draw a line on each side. Making sure your lines are straight. Add one more line At the top and close off your box.

Draw your arch

Creating your arch

Mark the middle of your top line. This is where your arch will start. Once you’ve found the middle, add a tack or nail there. Tie a string to the tack and tie a pencil to the other end of the string.

Adjust your pencil

Pencil at corner

Adjust your pencil so when the string is pulled taught it ends in the corner of your box. Pull the pencil upwards towards the other end of the box. Make sure your pencil stays in the same angle and the string remains taught, throughout.

It’s time to add painters tape to the bottom and sides. This will help keep lines crisp.

Start painting your box. With a paintbrush start painting the edges. TIP: don’t overload your brush with paint. For the first pass you just want to seal the edges with a light coat of paint.

Have a roller? Use it to paint the insides of your box.

Once your square is painted, begin painting your arch. Go slowly around the edges of the curve. If you accidentally paint outside the edge, or your paint seeped through your tape, Wait till the paint dries and go over any spots with the original wall color. For this step, I like to use a small art paintbrush.

Add extra coats as needed.

Pat yourself on the back

After

Congratulations! Your arch is complete. Time to admire your work and decorate! To see how I styled mine, follow me on Instagram.

The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants

To see more: //www.instagram.com/lacasasunrise

• Melody Boling Medlock

It is a perfect looking arch. I guess I just don't get the reason why someone would do this? Maybe if you added a finished photo with it decorated instead of us having to go to Instagram it would help? But your tutorial and the arch itself is on point.

• Mary McDonald

Haha. I would have liked to see it with the intended decor if that was the idea, also.