Homemade Outdoor Window Cleaner

$1

Chemistry Cachet is back with another science based DIY.

This cleaner is for outdoor windows, but it also works for indoor windows too! Be sure to read the blog post for instructions on that :) (chemistrycachet.com/homemade-outdoor-window-cleaner/)

This recipe is very easy to make, but it is also super cheap!

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar (5% acidity)
  • 1/4 tsp blue Dawn ( Why blue dawn? Read more here)
  • Basic spray bottle
  • Sponge or scrub brush (You can also use a microfiber scrub brush)
  • Rubber hose with spray nozzle

Directions for mixing the DIY outdoor window cleaner:

1. In your spray bottle, combine the water, vinegar, and dish soap.
  2. Set the nozzle to stream if possible which will make it easier to reach all the window area.

Curious about why these ingredients are used?? Or different methods for using this? Read the blog post here.

The Easiest Way To Clean Outdoor Windows With Our Homemade Outdoor Window Cleaner:

1. Spray your window with the homemade cleaning solution. As we mentioned above, setting it to stream can help reach taller areas.
  2. With a sponge or scrub brush (use anything soft and safe for windows), scrub the window area as best you can.
  3. With a spray nozzle attached to the rubber hose, spray every part of the window making sure all the cleaner is removed.
  4. You can air dry or wipe with a microfiber cloth to dry!

You can also just SPRAY AND WIPE this solution! Be sure to read these tips in the blog post.

Before And After

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

• Ticia

IDK if anyone's asked this previously but here goes - do you pre-wet the windows with the hose before spraying on your solution? I only ask because 1/2 cup each of vinegar and water isn't very much so if you are cleaning multiple windows, do you prepare the solution in a large batch or keep refilling your spray bottle with the same amounts all the time. Since I'm getting ready to do my windows, I'd like to know and what about streaking? (on the glass not the people kind). TIA

• DMc

Wondering if this would work on plastic windows in a screen porch?

• Ginger the farm gal

I use this also, but the cleanest windows and mirrors, I ever had were cleaned with kerosene and very hot water. What is your opinion of it?

• Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

Kerosene is a cleaning solvent, so it can definitely work for surfaces like this. It’s petroleum based, but also very flammable, so I prefer to not keep it around the home. You will get similar results with rubbing alcohol which is also a cleaning solvent and petroleum based. But, if it works for you, that’s great!

• Suzanne Ellis

i use this all the time. It works very we’ll.

• Nancy Polka

I have plants below my windows. Will the vinegar/dawn solution hurt my plants when I rinse it off?

• Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

No, it is very diluted, so it doesn't bother grass or plants. I use this all the time around my windows and I have roses, bushes, and grass below. It does fine. For extra measure, you can always rinse your plants with the rubber hose :)