Vile infestation?

Adrienne Carrie Hubbard | Crafty Little GnomeJohnavallance82Betsy
+9

I live on a half acre in Suffolk County, LI. And we have VOLES not moles. The are destroying everything. We have tried mouse and rat traps, with every imaginable bait, poison, home made poison with ground up zinc and vitamin D mixed into peanut butter and chocolate. Flushing the holes with water. They have eaten most of my newly seeded lawn and half my hostas. We have put so much time and money into beautifying our land and those little buggers are winning!

• Em

I had two cats when I moved to my last house and my yard sounded like yours. Within 2 months they voles/moles were gone with the help of my 4 legged babies. I looked under our boat trailer and found 5 in one day. No more holes in the yard, no more tunnels.

• Oliva

Bonide makes a vole repellent based on castor oil.

Some have had success with spraying ammonia into vole holes. Voles multiply significantly following mild winters, in about 3-5 yesr cycles. They are attracted to lawn serd, bird seed, etc. If you're going to try to reseed, you may need to add Thiram or similar to the seed, at application time.

Jack Russell Terriers or cats have been used to reduce vole populations, as well.

• Hi Patti, this is an article from the Cornell Cooperative Extension. They have a location in Suffolk and this is what they recommend. Also there's a contact number on the bottom of post, if you need more information about your area. Hope that helps.

• Cindy

I am also a victim of the damage that can be done with an infestation (moles). We tried everything too. The only think that actually worked was having my neighbor set live traps. And catching and releasing them. He owns cages (because this is not a new problem), but I'm sure your county can also provide cages too. Good luck Patti.

• Vimarhonor

Hello-1 for the best local professional advice

I would highly suggest contacting your cooperative extension. These offices are manned by volunteer master gardeners on site there waiting to answer the communities questions that know your local situation quite well.

Master gardeners are required to volunteer back designated hours ( plus continuing education) each year to maintain MG certification -this community outreach and education is their goal.

If your office is closed....there Might be alternative online venues like Ask an Expert as well as emailing your local master gardeners extension office for their

guidance.... in a non contact manner.

Best wishes in your gardening and landscaping and pest removal adventures!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

This post has lots of ideas for you.

• Annie

Can you get a cat? That would help a lot. Or a dog

• Zard Pocleeb

I haven’t tried this personally, but an article I read a few years back suggested putting a ‘minty’ flavored gum in an active tunnel. They don’t like mint to begin with. If they do eat it it messes up their little innards and they die. The beauty of mint gum is they either leave the the tunnel behind, or they die underground. Because they don’t die in your yard in your yard you are saved the expense of buying a bunch of tiny body bags, and potential lawsuits by their surviving vole families.

• Kmdreamer

Make poison sandwiches peanut butter mix with poison put on 2 slices of bread make a sandwich leave we’re they are

• Johnavallance82

Hi Patti,

You need a Pest Controller, contact your Local Authority and ask for their advice.

• My cat catches at least one vole a day. Try getting a few farm cats that are good mousers