How do you snap off clematis?

BetsyKathy Gunter LawWilliam
+2

My question is, after the vine blooms, do you snap off the part after the flower dies? Thank you. Mine is the flower with the purple color and look like stars. Thank you.

• Cindy

Hi Kathleen. I'm Cindy. I really love clematis. They explode in color when in full bloom. Pinch the flower off after it has died. The blossom will start to collapse and fade. It will start to feel sticky. Then a few days later there's no question about it. Some people wait for the flower to die and turn crisp, but I think it looks messy with a bunch of crispy dead flowers. The more flowers you dead-head, the more new flowers you get. I hope this helps you Kathleen. Good luck.

• Vimarhonor

Hello. I normally use a small pair of scissors and snap off blossoms only as the petals fall off. Hope this helps

• Kathy Gunter Law

My mother never trims hers, she says it has something to do with the growth. She has the purple as well. It flourishes being left alone.

Hi Kathleen: I just leave mine alone until they fall off. Seems like there is something sticky in them still that the hummingbirds like. If you don't like the looks of the withered flowers, then you can just grab the flower near the bottom and twist and it should come off. Good luck