Weed ?

EmRedcatcecAgnes Chrzanowska
+13

5ft tall Is this a weed? Is it beneficial to any wildlife or should I pull it out and Mark

• Barbara

Looks like pokeweed—toxic.

• CJ

Yes, pokeweed and it is toxic when it is mature as this one is. Chop it out! It will grow back so be diligent.

• Allison

Agree with the others, get it out before those berries ripen. The birds will be planting them all over your property.

• Michelle

definitely pokeweed. The purple berries if left... birds eat and leave nasty purple dropping mess on cars etc

• Ken Erickson

It's kind of pretty, but take recommendation of others. We don't have anything like that in our area.

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

eewww, pokeweed

• Lifestyles Homes

Yes pokeweed and I let mine grow along the rear fence.

Hello Vikki: Check this site to see if you can find it: https://www.preen.com/weeds

Good luck

• D

poke makes good greens when small

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

It's kind of pretty for being a weed. I was watering something on the side of my house for a long time. There were two long stems growing faster than everything else and I was really proud of them. I told my husband that I must've planted something there, but couldn't remember what. He looked and laughed and told me they were weeds that he normally pulls out.

• Dee

Not an answer-I have the same miserable to get rid of pokeweed in my yard.

When I pulled it out, I helped it to spread and grow stronger.

• Alice

Yes pokeweed is a pain in the butt

• Annie

You have to dig it all up if you want it gone. But it has a tap root, so that makes it difficult. Here's a link that might help

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/rid-pokeweed-75758.html

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I think it is a toxic plant

• Em

Used correctly, pokeweed is a powerful medicinal plant. However, the margins of safety are smaller than with most popular herbs. The berry is the safest part of the plant to use medicinally. The root, while a very powerful medicine, is also the most poisonous. Use caution, and get in touch with an experienced herbalist before experimenting with it yourself. Pokeweed has a wide variety of medicinal uses, both traditional and modern. Most of these likely stem from its antiviral, lymphatic, and anti-inflammatory properties.

Parts are edible but you must know what you are doing and use extreme caution.

For example, the plant juice causes dermatitis in some people (like my wife) and not in others (like myself).

Some people get a stomachache if they boil the leaves only once, while others may have no ill effects and always boil once.

Basically it is a weed and you can pull it from your yard.