How can I restore a porch swing without a cross bar for the back?

CindyKmdreamerBetsy
+9

The swing has crossbars for the seat, but nothing for the back, just the metal frame. I'd like to use treated wood for back support, but don't know how to attach it to the metal frame. Any ideas?

• Ken Erickson

Drill holes in the metal frame and your wood. Fasten with galvanized huts, washers, and bolts. Best I can suggest without a photo.

• Annie

Can you post a photo? It would help to see your swing

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I agree with first answer. Diamond bits for a drill will make the holes you need through the steel then you can bolt the wood and steel together.

• Lifestyles Homes

If the frame isn’t big enough to “through bolt”, then you could use exterior grade sheet metal screws.

If it’s too thin for that, then design a “sleeve” with the wood and slip the sleeve over the top frame rail and then through-bolt the wood to wood sleeve.

• Andrea Whitmire

Thanks for your response - I believe the frame will be big enough to through bolt. Great idea regarding making a sleeve!

Hi Andrea: You can make a wooden frame and attach it to the back with waterproof rope or paracord. Good luck

• Kmdreamer

Use a 2 by 4 for the back add a couple of them

• Cindy

Hi Andrea. You could use "U" bolts to attach the wood to the metal frame. I love a porch swing. It gives you the perfect opportunity to wave at your neighbors when they pass by. And, of course, cookies and sweet tea is all that is required. Good luck Andrea.