How to turn these into putting plants to put outside? Any other ideas?

Becky at Flipping the FlipJohnavallance82Agnes Chrzanowska
+23

I purchased these at an estate sale and they appear to be hand made CD holder racks. I thought of hanging them on our back wall and putting plants in them. My husband thinks the AZ heat will eventually rot out the wood. I would like some ideas of what viewers may have for these as an outside project since there is no space inside the home. There are 2 of them. I welcome any and all ideas. Thank you!

They appear to be home made CD holders.

• Lifestyles Homes

I would go ahead and put them outside, after spraying or painting several coats of an exterior grade varnish or polyurethane on them. This would be known as a marine polyurethane or a spar varnish.

I would think the water from the plants would rust the metal before the sun rots the wood.

If you end up not putting them outside, then put them inside, in a closet or a pantry and use them for storage shelves of light things.

• Bp

Thank you for your suggestion. I will certainly spray them. I may be able to use them in a closet. Great idea!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I agree I would also go ahead and put them outside. Marine varnish will help but they really should last quite awhile just as they are. I think desert plants or succulents would do well in these!

• Bp

I was actually thinking of succulents today as well, since they will not have to be watered. There are many low plants that I can use to utilize the space.

Thank you for the suggestions.

• Nan W.

I would also spray them and put outside! Enjoy them while you can! ...since they were probably estate-sale inexpensive, no harm done.

• Bp

Thank you for the suggestion, and I will definitely be spraying with the Marine varnish. I look forward to seeing how it comes out when done.

• 516maria

Not sure if you can grow air plants with moss where you live. But I would put a few of those maybe a few candies near top and any other interesting things you enjoy looking at. Maybe some trailing plants near top and some colorful flowers as well. If the wood rots it will only add more character to the pieces.

• Bp

As it turns out air plants do not do well in the dry heat of AZ, which is too bad because I really love the look of the air plants, and they would have looked so good in these pieces. Thank you for the suggestion.

• Kmdreamer

Just lay some wood or plastic hard plastic down to make shelf’s on the brackets that should do it

• Kmdreamer

You could get small bins to fit in each opening

• Bp

I had thought about the green light plastic that flowers come in. Thanks for the idea.

• KatAych

Seal the wood.

• KatAych

Hopefully you'll get some serious mileage out of whatever project you decide to you! (PS - as a fan of pretty posies, I'm all in for your plant idea!)

• Kathy Gunter Law

Marine varnish should project the wood. You can also paint with exterior house paint.

• Janice

Very unique piece! You could spray paint it with a color you love and use a clear marine sealer over to help it last longer. Then plant a few succulents here and there to suit your creativity and enjoy. A plant called elephant plant has done very well for me in the AZ heat. I first got it in a succulent garden mixed pot. It has survived the heat long after the other varieties died.

• Bp

Thank you, Janice, for an excellent suggestion of the elephant plant. I will definitely be on the hunt for them. I do plan to spray with the Marine sealer and very thankful for the suggestions I’ve gotten to do that. I don’t do much crafting for outside pieces and am happy to be getting so many wonderful ideas.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

I agree that spraying them with a waterproof varnish would be the best bet for protecting them.

• Bp

I’ve gotten many responses to spray the piece first for better and longer protection. Thank you Holly.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

if you persevere your wood portion with spray paint meant fro outside and repeat that annually you will be able for sure keep it outside

• Johnavallance82

Hi,

Add drawers and fill with soil, or line with strong Plastic., or use Plant trays.

• You can seal up the wood with an exterior polyurethane and spray the metal with spray paint or clear sealer. It will need maintenance here and there, it won’t last forever, but it is possible to put it outdoors.