Door trim and baseboard installation before carpet

+6

I will be replacing all of the trim and baseboards in my bedroom before I install the carpet. Is there a rule of thumb regarding how much space to leave to accommodate the carpet or do I install the boards flush to the floor?

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 27, 2020

Hi Denise: Typically you would install the carpeting first. You will need to put a tack strip along the walls and then attach the carpeting to that. Then, install the baseboard. Good luck

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jul 27, 2020

Hi Denise, I hope this helps! https://homeguides.sfgate.com/far-up-put-baseboard-before-carpet-laid-99235.html Looks like leaving about 1/4" is pretty standard though personally I think I would just trim everything out after flooring to make it easier.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Jul 27, 2020

I’ve done this and I used pine lath as a spacer while you install the trim.

If you don’t have a power brad nailer, I suggest pre-drilling the holes to prevent splitting.

• Annie Annie on Jul 27, 2020

If you can install the carpet first, and then do your trim, you will be able to perfectly fit it.

• Denise Denise on Jul 27, 2020

Thanks,everyone. I’m so appreciative of your help!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Jul 27, 2020

You’ll be so much happier if you install the baseboards after your carpet it installed. :)

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Jul 28, 2020

I think you should do the carpet first

• Carpet should go in first for sure.

• Mogie Mogie on Aug 03, 2020

The trim and baseboards should go on after the carpet is installed. I installed carpet when I lived in Texas and the carpet is put down first because if it has to be stretched to install it a power stretcher can mar base boards.

The standard is 3/8” to ½” based upon the thickness of the carpet and padding to be installed (be sure to measure). If done correctly the carpet will be tucked underneath the baseboard resulting in a professional looking finish.