Expand Creative Space With Your Own General Store Cubby & Paint Shelf!

$39

Any other collectors out there? If so, you know all too well how quickly a creative space can get cluttered up!

One thing I love to collect is salvaged rusty junk that I use to detail smaller projects. But having a place to store everything became an issue... the collection was jam-packed underneath a worktable and hard to access, let alone see!

I wanted something at a glance so I could pick and choose... kinda like shopping in a store. Hmmm...

My brother happened to gift me with a massive wood cubby that wasn't being utilized properly. It was sitting against a wall with wood piled in front of it. So after a deep purge, I surfaced that fabulous beast so I could put it to work...

But first, I also needed a place to store all those paint cans too! Could I do both?

Not only did I do both, I also added a sign so I could indeed shop from my own store anytime I wish!

Need more space in your own creative area too? Be on the lookout for a cubby, because you're gonna love this....

Workshop - before

Once I unearthed that monstrous cubby, it was pulled away from the wall. Then the wall was freshened up with a coat of white paint.

A beautiful white wall is always a good start, yes?!

Isn't this piece something?!

After moving the cubby back against the wall, a hole was cut into the piece to access a plug socket. Whoop! I gained a plug too!

Next, an easy shelf was built out of reclaimed wood (that was sitting in my way!) to run along the top of the cubby to stack paint cans. Now it's productive wood!

Be sure to click the original blog post link below to see how the shelf was built!

General Store stencil

Next up, a cute General Store sign was hung above the cubby space to create the illusion of this being my own rusty junk store!

Find this General Store stencil HERE

How to make the General Store sign

The sign was made on a large plank to really give it presence!

Learn how I made and antiqued the General Store sign HERE

It was finally shelf stocking time!

All my fabulous rusty junk pieces were gathered, and placed into the cubby bins. How easy is this to shop from?!

A few old antique relics were also hung along the front of the cubby in shades of red to chime in with the General Store sign. Fun, right?!

And here's the fabulous rusty junk finished result...

The finished cubby!

Would you like to come shopping in my General Store?

This piece makes quite an impact, don't you think? It works hard while looking fabulous too!

And suits my salvaged workshop perfectly.

Easy paint shelf extension

The paint shelf was designed to hold one paint can deep on two shelves making it easy to grab and go! Plus... more places to store cute junk...

What would you use this fabulous cubby for? Think you'll be on the lookout for one to create your 'own store' to shop from too?

Click HERE to visit this project for the paint shelf tutorial and all my other quirky workshop projects too!

Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna