How to clean ceilings?

Johnavallance82RedcatcecLauren of Mom Home Guide
+12

How do you clean ceilings? Is there an easy way so you dont break your back and arms???

• Oliva

Most people use step ladders or full sized ladders, hot water and a cleaning solution of your choice into which a rag is dipped, then wrung out. Rinse using clean water and use fans if needed to speed drying.

Unless you're cleaning years of grease and grime, it's really rather easy. Regular maintenance is key.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

I'm wondering if a vacuum might do the trick if it's got a long enough attachment? Sometimes, especially with textured ceilings, it might be easier to prime and repaint then to try to clean them.

• Lindsay Aratari

There are vacuum attachments

• Agnes Chrzanowska

Vacuum attachments for sure help you

• Mogie

In cleaning a ceiling, start by taking your mop or sponge right around the perimeter, going tight into the corners where the ceiling is likely to be dirtiest. Wring out your mop or sponge, dip it into your cleaning bucket, wring again, then work across your ceiling in quarters, going backwards and forwards in lines in each section.

If your ceiling is such a height that you need to stand on some steps, you may find it easier to imagine you’re tackling a chessboard of small squares. Avoid long mop strokes that could cause you to overreach and overbalance.

To wash a wall, start at the top of the wall and work your way down. That way, you can wipe away drips that run away from you.

You should first wash the top along the whole length of the room – this is the tiring, stretching bit. Next, divide the wall into manageable vertical sections. Then, for each section, do the skirting board (baseboard), and a few centimetres (inches) of wall directly above it, as this is dirtier and takes longer to get clean.

Next, look for any particular stain problems and marks on the wall, and tackle them – around the light switches may be especially grimy. If necessary, spot clean these with a drop of neat multi-purpose cleaner on your sponge; look in the Appendix for how to tackle any identifiable stain.

Then, it’s on to the easy bit that you can whip through – the middle section of the wall. Work along in easy up-and-down sweeps, overlapping slightly with the top and bottom sections that you already washed.

• LorriLJ

I have found that washing walls top to bottom that you are left with drip marks. So I wash from the bottom to the top, Then use rinse water top to bottom. 🙂

Hi Deb: You can use the vacuum or a broom with a dry wash cloth on it. Good luck

• Elycia Callan Bolcar

I used my swiffer 1st with the floor duster to remove any dust etc then I attached the wet cloth ( I squeezed out the solution 1st) and mopped the ceiling with it.

• Kathy Gunter Law

I use a microfiber duster on a pole. If they are extremely dirty and need more than just dusting, get a swiffer with wet pads or use a microfiber dust mop and dampen with water.

• Annie

I also use one of those dusters on a pole that is adjustable.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

IF you don't have long enough vacuum attachments, a microfiber duster on an extension pole would work well.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

If your attachments on your vacuum aren't long enough to reach the ceiling, you could try using a sturdy step stool to help you reach the ceiling.The Rubbermaid Molded Step Plastic Stool is very sturdy. I use it often around the house.

• Redcatcec

I use a dollar tree broom with a dish towel pinned to the corners of it.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Deb,

Use a Ladder and a Sponge Mop- Spray the ceiling and mop it off. Hope that helps!