Easy Marble

$50

So my client asked me to "marbelize" all his columns and then some...I had to find ways to make it easy and fast and still look like marble. This is how they looked like before. They were actually pretty cool before but he was ready for a change and wanted everything white, silver and blue.

First thing was to paint them light gray with an "eggshell" finish.

The stairs also needed to be painted to be marbelized after.

Here it is painted gray ready for me to do my sponge magic

You will need Glaze in order to mix the black, the white and the blue so that the colors are easy to spread and don't dry so quickly and make them a bit transparent.

This is what it will look like when finished.

1. The black glaze you will use to create the uneven texture in a diagonal direction to mimic marble using half of a large sponge (the kind you use to wash your car).
  2. Then you will use the blue glaze with a cheap brush to create blue veins.
  3. And finally you will use the white glaze to create white veins using a feather. You will also use a small round brush to soften the edges of the veins.

This is the type of brush perfect for this because the hairs are soft and messy.

Here is a video:

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Notice how I use a little bit of the black glaze to apply and then I use the clean side of the sponge to soften some areas and spread it.

To do only one column after it was painted gray took me about 25 minutes to complete with the three steps.

Hope this helped you see how easy it is to create a marble effect.

Thanks!!!

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners

• Mina
    Mina

It’s beautiful and elegant, Bravo! Looks so much better, quite an entrance.

• MiMi
    MiMi

Looks beautiful! Gorgeous job!! What ratio did you use to mix the paints with the glaze? And did you use any type of sealant when you were done? Thanks so much for sharing, again,, GREAT JOB!!

• Carolina
      Carolina

I used about one part paint to two parts glaze. And I did not use any sealant on the upper areas but I did use a clear satin (water base) sealant on the columns.

• Deb
    Deb

I would like to try this ,but I wanted to know if you mix the acrylic paint colors with clear glaze.

Thank you

Deb

• Carolina
      Carolina

Hi Deb, yes I do. Mix the acrylic paint about one part paint to two parts glaze. I don't measure so not sure exact amount.