30-Minute Cutting Board Storage

$0

One of the joys of being a hobby woodworker, is that you always have small scrap pieces of wood. This is the perfect project to use some of those scraps!

Our cutting boards had been using up some of our minimal kitchen drawer space for years. Finally, I decided to make them their own storage area on the back of a base cabinet door.

Like I said before, wood scraps are perfect for this. I used some 1x3 pieces for the bottom and sides, and some other scrap pieces trimmed from a 1” board (approximately 1” x 3/4”).

Decide where you will be putting this and measure the useable door space and your largest cutting board. Be sure to leave a couple inches on the non-hinge side so the door can close without hitting the frame.

*Also take the door structure into consideration (ie- thickness at the sides vs. the center or where the trim is located on the front.

Cut the bottom of your cutting board holder slightly wider than your largest cutting board. Cut sides to be around half the height of your board or more. (Learn from my mistake — my sides are too short and the cutting boards flop a lot when the cabinet is opened or closed quickly.) You also want to take into account the height of your shortest board. If there is a big difference between the two, make sure your sides are shorter than the shortest board.

Bevel the top from edge of the sides by snipping off about an inch at a 45° angle.

Attach the sides to the bottom with wood glue and nails.

(I put glue and a clamp along the bottom until I cut and attached the small pieces to help keep it square, then pre-drilled and attached finishing nails to prevent splitting.)

Cut your small pieces to the total width of your holder. You can also bevel the front edges of these if you want.

Attach with glue and nails. The first should be close to the bottom (one inch max from the bottom board, or less if you have thin, flimsy cutting boards), and the second should be directly below the beveled cut of the sides.

Attach small corner braces to the inside edges of the sides.

Attach to your cabinet, making sure your screws don’t go through the other side.

Add your cutting boards and enjoy!

Feel free to paint or stain your holder to match your decor.

I was working on this during my kids’ nap time, so I knew I wouldn’t have time for painting, but will probably paint it at some point.

30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY

• Monique

Who has that many cutting boards???

• Molly

Ha! After rolling out pie crust on a board that “looked” clean but had just previously had onions chopped on it (thanks hubby, but “wiping “ it off is NOT good enough...) I bought several more cutting boards! This is such a simple idea but I had not thought of it. Thanks, implementing it today, it’s a great idea!!!

• Ann

I love the idea of this for easy access to them, but doesn't it take up the interior cabinet space when the door is closed? I always have that problem.

• Patti

I use wire racks for spices, turned on their side & screwed into door. I also use for baking sheets & pans. It also works for lids if you need the space.

• Lori

I'm not certain what you mean Patti. Would you add a picture please?

• Susan

Directions are so much easier to follow when the finished product is shown at the beginning,