Bathroom sink is dripping.

Nick OrnitzChas' Crazy CreationsJohnavallance82
+11

The sink started dripping several weeks ago. It has gotten worse as time goes by. Now it's dripping a drip every 5 seconds. How do I fix this problem? Do I need to buy a new faucet? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

• Lindsay Aratari

I would get a plumber to come see if there is a leak or possibly try replacing the faucet yourself

• Originally Worn

We had this happen. It was a seal in the faucet. We could stop it temporarily but ultimately had to replace the whole thing.

• Annie

Any chance that the washer just needs to be replaced?

• Flipturn

Is it a kitchen sink or bathroom sink?

How it might be fixed depends on the style of faucet that you have.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/kitchens/21097141/how-to-stop-kitchen-faucet-leaks

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Leaky-Faucet

• Flipturn

To call a plumber out for a leaking tap will cost you a minimum of one hour labour charge, plus parts. It may be less expensive to purchase a new faucet.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Check the end to make sure it is on properly (kitchen) but I would probably just replace it. Another reason could be the gaskets are worn on the water inlets so that would be best for replacement as well.

• Lifestyles Homes

Some Bathroom faucet sets are guaranteed for life and the manufacturer will send you the parts.

If not, I would install a new one, as previously noted, a plumber will cost as much as the faucet set, in labor alone.

Hi Cindy: You probably just need a new washer. One important thing to do, after turning the water off and letting the faucet run until it stops, is when you are disassembling the faucet, get a hand towel, and a nickel. Lay the towel out flat and when you take something off, lay it on the towel. The first thing should be at the upper left, and everything after that should go to the right, just like you took it off. Get your phone out and take a picture of the washer just like you took it off, i.e., the narrow end down or up or whatever. A picture will remind you of how it came off. Then, take everything else off until it's empty. Use a rag to clean out the area and get all of the water out. Then, take the washer and put it in your pocket. Put the nickel where the washer was so you know which part it goes on after. Take the washer to the hardware or home improvement store, match it up and start to put the faucet back together, starting with the last piece you took off. When you get to the washer, look at the picture on your phone because you know you forgot which end goes down:) Snug everything down, turn on the water and see if anything squirts out. If not, then turn on the tap and check for leaks. You can do this, I have faith in you!

Good luck

Here are a couple sites that may help, if you need more information:

https://www.thespruce.com/fix-a-leaky-faucet-4103580

https://www.lowes.com/n/how-to/repair-leaky-two-handle-faucet

• Ha! I had the plumbers at my house on the same day! Remove and replace both master bath and guest bath faucets. Both faucets were old and could possibly be original to the house. The guest bath was leaking hot water through the tap and the shut off valve I couldn't get it to budge. So I turned off at the main and only turned on when I needed water. The master bath wasn't much better. I purchased lifetime guarantee products as that was much easier than trying to locate cartridges for 35 year old faucets. Neither faucet was very expensive and my plumbers installed efficiently and performed a beautiful job. Total investment for two faucets including labor was $310.00. A bargain in my world. Some people spend thousands of dollars just for the faucet itself.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I agree. You might just need a new washer.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

This tutorial might help you diagnose the problem with your faucet and fix it.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Cindy,

Sounds like a washer wants changing.

• Nick Ornitz

If you are still attempting to solve your leak, you can connect virtually with a professional plumber (first 2 weeks free):

hellodwelling.com