Asked 5 days ago

How to remove plastic coatings?

Deb KCheryl AKathleen
+12

How do you remove the plastic coating on bathroom fixtures? I have all Moen Bronze bathroom fixtures. Four years later i'm noticing their is a plastic film on everything. This is not something that can be removed easily..Sometimes I feel like it needs to be chiseled off but that of course would create alot of damage. The fixture is so much shinier in the small areas I have been able to remove. I don't understand why the installers didnt remove it.

thank you

kathy

• Lindsay Aratari

You could try applying lemon essential oil to help release the sticky parts

• Joye R. Foster

i would try a heat gun or hair dryer. The plastic film to keep the fixtures looking new.

• Flipturn

The installers do not remove it, simply because they are paid to 'install the fixtures' not 'remove plastic. ' I agree that it would be considerate to do this, however, as it is a time consuming task, and they are being paid by the job not by the hour, it is left for the customer to do on their own time.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Perhaps vegetable oil, it works on quite a few labels I've had issues with in the past.

• Lifestyles Homes

I would call Moen’s Tech Services Dept.

Hi Kathleen: Soften the film first with a hair dryer in the "hot" setting, then when the plastic film gets gummy and soft remove it with a plastic putty knife and do the final cleaning with any solvent, like mineral spirits or Goo Gone. You may even be able to pull out the film when it becomes worm enough while is being exposed to the heat of the hair dryer.

Here is the site for Goo Gone. It says you can use it: https://googone.com/howto/blog/does-goo-gone-work-on-that/

Good luck

• Agnes Chrzanowska

Heating it up a bit with hair dryer will for sure help

• Johnavallance82

Hello Kathleen,

Try using a scalpel/razor blade to release the film in an area not usually seen, then peel it off. It is put on for protection and some builders installers leave it for the client to do, in case it gets damaged in the meantime.

• Vimarhonor

I would suggest calling Moen customer service, they can be very helpful.

• Redcatcec
    Yesterday

Go to the source of the product at Moen customer service and ask what can be done. They know their products and could off you the best advice on how to do this.

• Kathleen
    Yesterday

Thank you everyone for your help. I didn’t realize how many responses I received. I’ll let you all know when I try it this week if it works or what Moen says if I have to call them. Thank you, Kathy

• K. Rupp
    17 hours ago

If you didn't notice the plastic film for 4 years, it might not be protection plastic from the manufacture for installation. It sounds like it is a lacquer that is starting to come off in different spots. Lacquer is put on to keep brass or other metals from tarnishing too quick. It is a coating. If that is what you think it might be rather than an installation film, then you could strip it using a stripper. Then shine the fixture up depending on the metal.

If it is actually a plastic film then yes, follow others advice on using a razor blade to cut it away or using a heat gun to get it off.

You will have to determine between the 2 though.

• Kathleen
    15 hours ago

Wow thank you that is interesting. I think I’m going to call Moen and find out. These faucets are real pretty in the brass, which is all I have in my bathrooms including the lights but Moen should give u more info on their products. The only thing I know is not to use anything harsh on them. Going with brushed chrome from now on. I will let u know what Moen has to say. Thank you everyone for your input. Kathy

• Cheryl A
    13 hours ago

try soaking warm water on a rag and leaving it until it comes off easily- you will damage the finish if you chiesel it off or use tools on it - you could go on the mfg. website and see if they have any suggestions. Just wondering, did you not notice it until 4 yrs later?

• Deb K
    38 minutes ago

Hi Kathleen, you can try, acetone, heat, and maybe a magic eraser, use a razor to lift an edge and try to peel, hope these help.