Rustic Planter

$25

I have this little space in my yard that is so plain looking and I have always wanted to add a little something to it. I came up with this simple idea for a planter box that made this area pop!

Supplies needed:

Three 1x8 boards cut 30 inches long.

Two 1x8 boards cut 8 inches long.

Two 1/2 inch floor flanges.

Two 1/2x2 black nipples.

Two 1/2 inch elbows.

One 1/2x6 black nipple.

Stain color of your choice.

Assemble the wood.

The first step is to assemble the wood into the box. I simply nailed (I used a finish nail gun) the three long pieces of wood together with one piece working as the bottom and the other two working as the sides. I then nailed the shorter 8 inch pieces to the end.

Apply the stain.

I then rubbed some Varathane onto the wood box. I chose to use this option because it is stain and poly combined so it both colors and protects the wood. This eliminates one step. The color I chose was Black Satin.

This is a picture of the box completely stained.

Assemble and attach handle.

I then attached all pipe pieces together by screwing each 1/2x2 inch nipples to the floor flanges. Then I added both elbows to the other ends of the 1/2x2 inch nipples. I then screwed 1/2x6 inch nipple into the other ends of the elbows. This forms a handle out of pipe. Then I screwed the pipe handle into the center of the stained box.

This is what the box looks like completed.

I then added some pretty red petunias to the completed planter.

And here is the finished product! I love how it turned out and the way it made this plain space look.

Here is a closer view with the flowers. I hope you enjoy!

13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
15 Perfectly Round Tables
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk