Okay so let me break down how I made my own upholstered bed, and saved so much money in the process!
Here is a list of the supplies you’ll need in order to make the complete bed.
- Metal Harbor Frame (I already had one, and you might too!)
- Bed Hardware ( you’ll only use the clip part of this set)
- Upholstery Tack Strip
- 1 sheet of 1/2″ Plywood for the headboard
- 2 – 1x8x8 For each side wing
- 3 – 1x10x8 These are used for the side rails and footboard
- 2 – 1x4x8 These are attached to the wings, and then to the headboard.
- 5 yds of Fabric, I used a white cotton duck fabric
- Batting to wrap around the wood pieces
- Foam for the frame I used a mattress topper
- Spray Adhesive
- 1.5″ screws
- Staple gun
To start, I decided to build the headboard, starting with each of the wings. Our room as a slant ceiling, and I wanted to top of the headboard to measure to the start of the slant. When making yours, just make the bed the size that would fit your space best.
For our space, our wings measured 59″ tall, so I took the 2 1x8x8 boards as well as the 1×4 boards and cut them both to 59″.