Updating a Builder Grade Linen Cabinet

$75

I find that paint is the easiest, quickest, and most cost effective way to update a home. I am slowly updating all my orange honey oak in my home. This linen cabinet is located in the hallway at the top of my stairs and stuck out like a sore thumb from my front door entry especially after we updated our staircase. This was a quick and very easy project.

Before & After

Step 1 Cleaning the cabinet

Before

I told ya it was orange 🍊 and it also darkened the hallway. I first cleaned the cabinet with warm water and TSP. I love this stuff it works wonderful at removing dirt and gets rid of any sticky residue that may be on the wood.

Step 2 Applying Shellac

Shellac

I always apply shellac primer before I begin painting any cabinets. I use Zinsser BIN Shellac Primer in a White Base. I find that it not only serves as a stain blocker but it also creates a smooth finish and gives that final paint a nice clean finish.

Step 3 The Paint

The Paint

Once the shellac is completely dried, I painted the cabinet using Sherwin-Williams emerald base paint. I used incredible white in a satin finish, this white is very pretty and the paint hardens after time which gives it a more professional finish.

Step 4 Applying the Hardware

The Hardware

The next step was drilling the holes for the hardware. The original ones did not have any knobs or pulls. I think that knobs and pulls are also a quick way to update furniture, especially cabinets. I just used an electric drill to make the holes and then I secured the hardware.

Hardware

Here’s a close up of the pulls I chose.

Finished

Here is a photo of the completed project, we think it was a great improvement and didn’t take long at all. I told ya it be easy 😊 Happy DIYing and if you want to see more of what I do, please come visit me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/mycreativekneads/

Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Memorial Day Crafts
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs