Creating a Storage Bench

$60

In my house, there’s no such thing as too much storage! In our playroom, I wanted to incorporate more storage space as well as additional seating for reading or playing games. Here I will show you how I created a new storage bench from an existing old media stand!

Gather Materials

For this project you are going to need a media stand, piece of standard plywood, fabric and a thick piece of foam (I used an 1.5” thick). Your local craft store should have the foam and lots of fabric to pick from. Most likely you will need 1-2 yards of fabric, depending on the size of your stand. Since this is going into a playroom, I actually bought outdoor fabric so it’s a little more durable and stain resistant!

Measure, Layer and Cut

Once your materials are gathered you will want to get them cut to the size of your media stand. The foam as pictured is the exact size of the top. I cut down the plywood slightly smaller as shown above. This will help your cushion fit true to size.

Layer the fabric first, followed by the foam and then the plywood on top.

Staple the Sides

Wrap the fabric over the long sides and use a staple gun to attach it to the plywood. Only to the long sides in this step. You also want to pull the fabric over tightly before stapling to keep it taut.

Pin and Tuck Edges

To keep your corners neat and clean, I used a safety pin to fold the fabric at the bottom and tightly fold up just like you are wrapping a present.

After you pull up the end tightly, make sure to staple it down! Do the same thing on the other end.

All sizes should be tightly attached and your cushion should look like this.

Drill on the Cushion

Use wood screws to drill into the bottom of the console top upwards into the plywood. I used a screw every few inches to keep the cushion on nice and securely!

Style and Fill

Now you’re all ready to style! Find some fun pillows to keep seating cozy and some nice totes to organize whatever you are storing below. I love being able to quickly and easily hide away toys, which still keeping this space pretty and appealing. It’s a win, win!

14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Everything Red For Canada Day
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps