Boho Inspired Light Fixture

$7

I have spent countless hours reimagining what our condo would look like if we were more than just renters. The first thing to go? The mismatched and out of date light fixtures (apologies to my landlord!).

The idea of replacing every light fixture is a pipe dream. If only! But even if I can't afford to change them all I could at least make some design improvements. After looking online for some inspiration I decided I had a DIY on my hands.

Step 1

I headed to the store and gathered a few materials. One 14 inch embroidery hoop, some twine and three 100 count skewers packs later I was ready to craft. I got comfy at the craft space (ie. Kitchen table) and with my materials, snacks and Netflix I was ready to roll.

Step 2

I knew I wanted something medium height so with my skewers and ruler I measured and marked an 8 inch line. Then using wire cutters I trimmed the skewars all to size.

*Note: if you have weak hands, I would suggest bribing a friend to help.

Step 3

The best thing about crafting with embroidery hoops is it's kind of a 2 for 1 deal! This makes it also the perfect tool for a lampshade DIY project. Simply unhinge the outer hoop enough to slide the inner hoop out. Voila! 2 equivalent hoops.

Using 4 skewars I started the shade part by hot gluing one skewer to each side (north, east, south, west).

Step 4

I continued gluing 8 inch skewars around the outside of the hoops until there was no empty space left. With a coffee break in between.

*Note- I did not cut all of my skewers before gluing them on... I would highly suggest doing this to avoid uneven lines like the bottom of the shade. I regret not following my gut!

Step 5

The most important step! Glue it together with wood glue. Hot glue does the job to connect the pieces but they can easily pop off. Wood glue ensures it remains intact.

Step 6

Time to hang! I used these hooks to hang my shade, however if you prefer avoid holes you could use 3m Hooks instead.

This project only cost me $7 which is a bargain whenconsidering the cost of light fixtures! You could even paint it another color to really stand out.

Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable

• Ruth Sims

Do you think it would hold together if i put it in cold coffee, after I put it together to darken the shade, or should I do it before I put it together?

• Lydia

I would suggest dying the skewers prior to assembling your shade :)

• Teri

You gave me a great idea to put an existing shade over my old light with just the hooks.

• RoniElayne

I love this idea and I have a perfect place I'd like to use it but I have some questions. You said you also bought some twine but I don't see where you used it in your instructions. Do we need the twine? Also, how do you use the wood glue. If the sticks are already glued on to the hoops with the hot glue, then where/how do you use the wood glue?

• Rita Yost

I think the hot glue gun is used as directed and then reenforced with the glue. Have no idea about the twine but maybe for hanging?