Easy Peasy Porch Curtains.

$3

One: Easy

Two: Cheap

Three: Ca-Ute!

I love making these because they turn out so CUTE and are perfect for my outdoor porch.. I bet the neighbors look forward to seeing new curtains about every other month.

I’m sure anybody can take this idea and resize it for your particular porch.

Vinyl tablecloth

The before picture!

Yeap.... The before picture is a vinyl tablecloth. I use a 52 by 90 inch felt backed vinyl tablecloth which is the perfect size to make curtains for my porch. I took a piece of poster board and made a scallop edge pattern that I use over and over again. Because this is such an easy project I made several plus one for each holiday.

Trace the pattern

The pattern

Fold the tablecloth so that the felt side is on the outside. The fold needs to end up being the exact width of the pattern but doubled. The idea is to have the folded edge be the top of the curtain. I trace the pattern with a marker. How easy is that!

Cut them out using pinking shears

Pinking shears

I use pinking shears to cut them out. It gives the curtain edges a nice look. Because of the sizes of my window screen openings I need to cut six full size but the last two need to be a little bit smaller. That’s because the screen window openings on the porch are smaller on either side. All of this is marked on the pattern so I don’t have to re-measure every time.

Folding them back

This is not two pieces! It is one piece that has the scallops cut out on each end. Fold it back to right side out and match up the scallops. Then very little sewing will be needed.

Ready to sew.

Sew ready!

I’m sure if you don’t have a sewing machine you can actually glue this together. I like to sew it on my machine because it’s really quick and easy.

Abigail checks it out.

Abigail

Abby is always close by. She’s checking to make sure I’m doing it correctly.

Adding straight pins

Add pins

I add about two or three straight pins anywhere on the curtain to keep everything in place. Because the vinyl tablecloth is felt backed, the insides kind of cling to each other. I could probably do it without the straight pens but better safe than sorry.

Left over scraps

Amazing

It’s pretty incredible how this particular size vinyl tablecloth works perfectly for me. After I cut out of all the curtains, this is all that is left! I take one of the straight pieces and use it to tie a bow on my pink flamingo that sits right by the gate to my yard. Matchy matchy!

Sew the rod pocket

Sew time!

I usually do the rod pocket first. I sew a straight line about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the folded edge. Because this is one piece with a folded edge there is no need to sew the very top edge. One more reason this project is so easy.

Sew the scalloped edges

Check out how cute the scallop edges are

Now you can sew the edge around the entire curve. But I simply so the bottom of the edge straight across. Fast and easy. Trust me when I say everything stays right where it needs to be! But remember… You can glue the edge down if you prefer.

Fishy curtains

Something’s fishy here!

Since I live in a beach community one set of curtains just has to have fish! And let’s not forget Mr. pink flamingo with his matching bow. But it is time to switch them out. I use spring tension rods. (Not included in the project cost since I already had them). This makes it real simple to switch out to new curtains.

Tip: Pick a small random design

Wowzer!!!

The design on the tablecloth will work better if it’s a small random design. Remember the fish curtains? The fish go in all different directions so there’s no right side up you need to worry about. These red, white and blue curtains do have a stripe pattern but as you can see they worked out very nicely too.

Look how pretty they are!

Look how pretty

I only make a set to go on the road side of the porch. I think they add the perfect little touch!

Road side view

Roadside view

And here is how they look from the outside of the porch. Such a simple project with a big impact.

If you have any questions just let me know.

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen

• Ticia

I like the idea vey much and can see how it works with squared or rectangular windows but how can I do that with arched windows and still have them stay up?