How to attach shade sail to fascia or side of house?

Becky at Flipping the FlipFlipturnJohnavallance82
+18

I want to attach shade sails over my patio. I had 3 steel posts welded to the steel fence supports on one side of my patio. Now I’m trying to figure out how to attach them to the side of my house.

Here’s a picture of my patio area. On the left side, you can see 2 of the 3 steel posts I had installed

Need to attach sails to the house on this side of the patio.

• Annie

Do you need steel posts attached to the house? Could you use an eye bolt instead?

• Maureen Azevedo

The 3 steel posts I had installed are along my fence line, and on the one side of my patio. Yes, I will need to attach eye bolts and or wall anchors to the house. I’m just unsure of where or what to attach them to. I definitely know I can’t attach anything to my roof. And I know the fascia isn’t strong enough.🤷🏻‍♀️

• Unexpected Elegance

You could use some eye hooks on the house to attach the shade to the house.

• CreampuffLion

You would need to know the location of the house framing 2x4 boards that are behind the panels, then drill and use screws that are long enough and sturdy enough to penetrate through to them. There are methods to detect those boards.

• Maureen Azevedo

Thank you, that’s what I’ve been told. I do have a stud finder, but I feel I’m somewhat challenged, when it comes to using it. I know that once I successfully🤞🏻 find one, then they’re usually spaced 16” apart.

Hi Maureen: Exterior studs can be either 16 or 24 inches apart, on centre. Here's a site on how to find them:

https://www.lowes.com/n/how-to/how-to-find-studs-in-walls

Once you find them, attach a board, horizontally, from one stud to the next one, all the way across the length you need, using screws that are at least one inch longer than your board, so that the screrw goes into the stud securely. Then you can attach your sails to that or, eye bolts. Good luck

• Maureen Azevedo

Thanks Betsy, what a great idea. I hadn’t thought about attaching a piece of lumber horizontally. Do you have any suggestions on how to beef up/strengthening the fascia? I’m planning on attaching 4 triangular sails. Alternating/overlapping each sail.

Maybe by using a heavier piece of wood that's wider and thicker and putting 2 screws in each stud. Sounds like a nice project :)

• Lifestyles Homes

You can be sure that there are headers above your windows & doors and that there's a continuous double top plate and either a rim joist at the ceiling joists or a cj itself.

• Lifestyles Homes

Here’s a diagram of what the framing typically looks like.

• Maureen Azevedo

Thank you for sending me this awesome framing diagram. I’ve already found it to be most useful. I was just outside playing around with various layout patterns. I’ve got the shades up temporarily using bungee cords, and very small nails I hammered into the house. It’s already getting pretty hot outside,(95 degrees)😓and it’s supposed to be102 today. I’m going to call it quits for now and wait until later this evening to continue working on my project.

The fascia boards are attached to the ends of the roof rafters. You just need to find them and screw the eye bolts thru the fascia into the into the rafters.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would make steel framing to make sure all is solid

• Maureen Azevedo

Thanks Agnes, unfortunately I don’t have access to a welder, steel, etc. Nor would I even know where to begin.

• Janice

Hi Maureen, here's some info I located. The sails can be quite attractive when layered as you mention you want to do. Our community has several colored sails over the pool area and it's very pleasant.

https://www.thegardenglove.com/cover-your-outdoor-space-with-shade-sails/

• Maureen Azevedo

Janice, Thank you for sending me that link. I love all of the various layouts, and the combination of the different shaped sails. That has given me a lot of fun ideas. Now I just have to figure out the best method of attaching them to my house.😬

• Johnavallance82

Hello Maureen,

You could run a batten across the area and fix

hooks etc to that. or just screw Hooks directly into the walls.

• Flipturn

Here are a couple of pictures showing different combinations of hardware to hang shade sails.

• Usually shade sails come with kits for attaching to a house, or you can get one. If you go with on the fascia, make sure it can handle wind loads so the sail doesn’t rip it right off your house in a storm.