How do I remove spray paint from porcelain table top??

Unique Creations By AnitaMary M BarsonDee
+13

I have a porcelain or enamel top table I bought for 30 bucks from a women on Facebook. It appears someone either spraypainted the top or painted it with something gritty. I think it is old spray paint. Attaching pics. How can I remove the paint without ruining the porcelain or enamel underneath?

Also, she said it is porcelain, but how do I know for sure? I am disabled with bad shoulders, so I can't use too much pressure to sand it but do have a powersander somewhere in my garage. What grit paper? I'm trying to get the paint off to have the original porcelain top. Here is the table. If you enlarge the one that is all white, you can see the grittiness of the paint. It has some spots on the side that are peeling. Thankyou Thanks!

Peeling paint.

Gritty texture.

• Lindsay Aratari

You could try to sand it off

• Unexpected Elegance

I've never done it, but this article might help: https://www.hunker.com/13416818/how-to-remove-paint-from-porcelain

• Annie

You will have to sand and apply a new finish. Shouldnt be too hard. Start out with 120 grit on a finishing sander to remove paint. Then use a 240-300 grit before applying a new finish.

• Mary M Barson

I'm trying to get to the original material underneath. Since it is supposed to be porcelain, it might not be in too bad a shape. Thankyou. I will probably try what William suggested, as it seems it would be the least damaging to the to the table top, and if it doesn't work, than sand it.

• Cynthia Withers

Have you tried a paint remover that would be kind to the porcelain? Check with your local home improvement store.

Do not sand. You will damage the the porcelain finish. It looks like someone use a stone look spray paint to make the top look like stone. Rustoleum and Krylon make it. Use Citristrip paint stripper to remove paint. In your situation, slather the stripper on the top, cover it with plastic sheeting and let it do it's job for a few hours. Check every so often if the paint scrapes off with a plastic putty knife. Also use a small BRASS brush if needed. Brass will not scratch the porcelain.

• Mary M Barson

I will try that. If it is not porcelain, but enamelware, would it be safe to use the Citristrip? And is there a way to tell if it's porcelain or enamelware? Thankyou.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

Sanding is the only way you can remove any paint

• Lifestyles Homes

Correct, do not sand. You’ll ruin it.

Citristrip is a favorite of many people because its smell is not horrible. There are other paint strippers out there and all require gloves and a place to make a mess.

Porcelain and enamelware are similar. Porcelain is a baked on coating to cast iron or steel. Like bathtubs. Enamelware is porcelain baked on coating the complete surfaces. Like enamel cookware. I would say the table top is porcelain over steel. Look at the underside. If you see metal it's porcelain. Citristrip is a safe stripper. It will soften layers of paint and stain. It's gel consistancy makes it great for vertical surfaces too.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there,

Yes, Citristrip is the one of choice, no sanding, let the chemicals do the work ! Be gentle with the scraper as it could scratch the enamel. Best wishes

Hi Mary: You can use Goof Off or even CitriStrip, which is really good. I use it a lot :) Good luck

• Dee

You can either sand it off with a electric sander or you can use Citristip. Vinegar will also remove paint but it takes forever this way.

• Mary M Barson

Thankyou everyone. Ordering everything I need this week. Thanks so much!!!

• Looking at the texture it could be chalk paint, you can just sand it off.