Create a curtain for this utility closet?

Morgan McBrideCathyCheryl A
+19

I want to create a fabric covering for this utility closet at our cabin. I have checked Pinterest, YouTube and other places for creating curtains for triangular windows, but I am not sure that really helps me. We want to be able to cover the area that I have highlighted, but also to be able to easily access it to retrieve items that we have stored by the water heater. I have the dimensions for our project. I am just crafty enough to be dangerous! 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️😬. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Druzon
    Druzon

Can you use a rounded shower curtain rod?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

No, a shower rod will not work as it will not stay in place against an angled surface (the left inside of the triangle).

• Mogie
    Mogie

Since it such an odd shape why not use velcro and make a piece to fit that shape. You could use cardboard or paper sacks to make a template of the space and go from there. If you use velcro if you want to take it down no big deal which would make the fabric much easier to keep clean.

• Unexpected Elegance
    Unexpected Elegance

What if you cut pieces of wood and attached it with hinges?

• Alyce Smith
    Alyce Smith

Make the triangular shape covering and attach at the bottom with a curtain rod or tension rod then attach the top with a hook and eye. If the material is very heavy the weight could be distributed with several hook and eye sites.

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

You could velcro fabric to the sides to easily remove it

Betsy

Hi Angie the dangerous! :) You might be able to use a shower curtain rod and a shower curtain for the area, or attach a wooden dowel and some rod hangers to the top and then get a curtain and clips with rings. JoAnn Fabrics has them. https://www.joann.com/search?q=curtain+ring  Good luck

Betsy

Ha! I didn't even pay attention to that :) Well, maybe make a door that's hinged on the long side, 3 hinges. A piece of plywood cut to size and put some molding on the edges and paint it, it should work.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

For a permanent solution, I would suggest plantation shutters. They can be custom-made to fit any triangular shaped windows, or framed openings, which you have. Shutters would allow for air flow, would be maintenance free, and would be easy to open and close to allow accessibility to the interior space.

William

I would make two doors out of plywood and 1X2's . One door where the heater is and one door for the area behind the heater. Attach hinges for the big door to the tall post and the small door to the support by the heater. Paint, stain, upholster the doors. Eye hooks to keep the doors closed.

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

I would just plead fabric over a tape and nail in on the landing

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    Lauren of Mom Home Guide

You could screw in hooks to the 2 x 4s and then use the hooks to hang your curtain from.

• Zard Pocleeb
    Zard Pocleeb

One word...Velcro. Fashion your fabric piece and attach it with Velcro. This way you can open it just a little to take something out, or completely When the need arises.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Angie,

You could make a template of the area and cut out the shape from fabric allowing for hems. You could then use curtain wires and hooks to secure or use Cleats and rings like on a sail. Hope that helps.

• Patty
    Patty

I could not make it a full curtain, rather, a flat cover cut exactly to this shape. Use a duct fabric, heavier than most. Use a staple gun on it to each of those stairs and on the upper portion of the straight vertical side on the right. Or, you could velcro strip it all around.

• Dee
    Dee

Make a triangular curtain and attach it with heavy duty velcro. This way you will still have a way to get into the area. I would buy a heavy duty fabric from JoAnns or Hobby Lobby, be sure to use the coupon for 40% off.

• You could use a drop cloth, cut the shape and staple it along the stair. That way it’ll be loose on the right but keep the shape.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

I would use painter's cloths easy to hang and use as curtain -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUnnx19PH9Y

• Cathy
    Cathy

Have you thought of getting a piece of lattice or pegboard? Cut it, build a frame to fit the area and put hinges on the long side.

In my opinion it would be dangerous to use a curtain to enclose the water heater and also you should not store anything around a water heater. When we were trying to cover up our furnace and water heater in our basement we decided to use vented doors.

• Morgan McBride
    Morgan McBride

Could you staple it to the diagonal side and maybe have velcro strips on the vertical side?