Counter and cabinet idea

Maura WhiteMogieBecky at Flipping the Flip
+13

need Ideas on what to do with ugly tile countertop and cabinets. I don’t want to gut the kitchen as it’s too expensive just wanna update it.

• Oliva
    Oliva

You could paint the tile countertops and change the grout to a lighter color. I'd recommend epoxy grout, even though it may be trickier to use, because it's much easier to live with, over time.

The cabinets could be updated with simple mouldings to create a Shaker style, or similar. Cabinets could be sanded, painted a contrasting color and sealed or sanded, stained, sealed. Change out the cabinet knobs to a brighter color, finish, or glass, or a completely different style.

• GrandmasHouseDIY
    GrandmasHouseDIY

I agree that paint is probably your least expensive and best bet to get a whole new look. All new hardware would help as well. You could consider doing a concrete pour over the countertops like this blogger did: https://www.younghouselove.com/trying-our-hand-at-ardex-concrete-counters/

The tile floors could also be painted

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

There are stick and peel backsplash tiles that are super inexpensive that will help you out. I feel adding interest to backsplash will completly change your kitchen

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

I would use an epoxy paint system for painting the tile & the grout. Normally I would not advise to paint grout, but the joints vary too much and it is an eye sore.

Yes, paint the cabinets and put some expensive pulls on them.

Both of these require super clean surfaces and prep work.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I think adding new hardware to your cabinets and installing a pretty backsplash would help make your countertop look better. You could even try c overing the countertop with marble-looking Contact paper for a low-cost fix.

• Katie Nadea
    Katie Nadea

Paint or stain those wood cabinets and pick out an inexpensive satin nickel hardware update. I had old oak brown with 1978 antique brass and brightened up the whole kitchen. Sherwin Williams paint on sale 30% off and they will guide you, take the smallest door off to show them, and ask them the best way to do it. Cost me about $50 bucks for all of it. Go on line and you can buy a bag of multiple matching hardware for 30 bucks. Also I took my doors outside across saw horses and used a flat pad to dip in the paint and goes on so smooth, no paint streaks.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello there,

You could add Tile stickers to the centre of the tiles, or Transfers. You could paint the grout lines using an artist brush or syringe as that will white or a colour or Re-grout the tiles, or paint them, or tile over them, but if you tile over them, don't use the same size tile or don't have the joints in the same place. Enjoy!

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

A fast and easy way to 'wake up' tired looking cabinets is to switch the old knobs/handles with new ones that are bright and colorful.

• See More
  • Janice
    Janice

If you regrout the tiles with very light grout and add some decorative hardware to the cabinets that could make a huge change in the feel of your kitchen. Add some laccessories such as towels and rugs in a color you love!

• Patty
    Patty

Are you wanting to keep the tile? Or, could you replace it? Laminate is cheaper than a natural product, and it would give you a nice, clean look.

• Patty
      Patty

I see. Perhaps replace the grout with a dark accent, revitalize your area with new accessories. I have red and black in my kitchen. Not everyone's taste, I understand. But I have had so much fun with it for 15 years now. I also love wine, so my souvenir hand painted plates from Italy, and my flattened wine bottle that I use as a spoon rest all coordinate without everything being matchy-matchy. Have fun!

• Dee
    Dee

I would change the grout color with Grout Refresh. I would also paint the brown edges of the countertop to coordinate with the tiles. Take a look at Diane At In My Own Style tutorial on painting cabinets https://inmyownstyle.com/diy-kitchen-makeover.html

• I painted my cabinets, I used a kit by Rust-Oleum called Cabinet Transformations. You can see how I did it here: https://www.flippingtheflip.com/2015/09/kitchen-cabinets-black.html

• Mogie
    Mogie

You could always paint the tile counter tops.

https://www.thespruce.com/recommended-tile-paints-1822653

• Maura White
    Maura White

You could paint the cabinets - no sanding needed! See how I did that! https://happydealhappyday.com/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets-without-sanding/

Then you could do a peel and stick new backsplash.

As for tile countertops - maybe you should just replace those with laminate countertops? We got ours very inexpensively when you look for sales on Lowes or Home Depot or Mr. Seconds or Bargain Outlet!

• Your comment...