How to paint laminate?

Johnavallance82BetsyChas' Crazy Creations
+15

I have 2 cheap laminated book cases I would like to paint, but, am a little leery cause I don't want to ruin them.

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

They’re probably melamine or “foil”, over particle board. This is paper thin plastic.

If the particle board is exposed at the edges or gouged, water based paints will soak into the exposed particle board and “mushroom” which will ruin them. So chalk paint is out.

I would consider spraying them with enamel spray paint after cleaning them with acetone (nail polish remover).

• Lindsay Aratari
    Lindsay Aratari

You could spray paint them

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    Lauren of Mom Home Guide

Instead of using paint, you could try covering them with Contact paper or self-stick wallpaper.

William

Clean well. Prime with Kilz primer. Then paint

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure
    Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

Good to know William!

• Agnes Chrzanowska
    Agnes Chrzanowska

Good primer and then any paint can go on

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Selarson,

If it is laminated wood finish, use Easy Surface Primer (ESP) then undercoat and then paint. Don't over wet the surface, let it dry well between coats and don't try to rush the drying by using a heat source. Best wishes.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! Clean and use a good primer like Kilz so you have better adhesion. Good luck and stay safe!

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Quality paint and brushes are not inexpensive anymore.

If the book cases are cheap, think about how much money you want to put into them and decide first if they are worth it before you rush out and start purchasing supplies.

• Janice
    Janice

A good deglosser will get you started. Then a primer such as Kilz or Zinsser 123, the the paint of your choice. I prefer using a small sponge roller so there's no brush makrs, though a brush is sometimes necessary in small areas. Even then you'll need to take additional care not to scrape the paint with anything too sharp. Also, be sure to let the paint dry very well between coats and let the piece "cure" well before adding items back into the bookcase; otherwise items left on the shelves for a lengthy time may "stick" and remove the paint when removed.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi, laminate is pretty easy to paint if you prep it well before the time. Probably the most important thing is to sand it so the paint has something to grip onto and wipe it down well afterwards to get rid of any sanding dust. Have fun, I'm sure your bookcases are going to turn out beautifully

• Cindy
    Cindy

I would put contact paper on them. Wal Mart sells some pretty patterns at a reasonable price and easy to use.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello a good bonding primer would be recommended after a cleaning. The prep that goes into a project can ensure results you’ll be happy with.

• Janice
    Janice

You can purchase a "deglosser" from your local home improvement store along with a package of steel wool. Apply the deglosser to the laminate and rub in a circular motion wherever you intend to paint. Rinse with a clean damp cloth until all is removed, let dry and paint with a primer, then the paint color of your choice. A lot of work and often will take 2-3 coates of paint to get a nice smooth finished look but well worth the effort if you plan to keep the bookcases long term.

• Chas' Crazy Creations
    Chas' Crazy Creations

Here's a post I wrote about my experience painting laminate - https://chascrazycreations.com/faux-wood-grain-table/

Betsy

Hi Selarson: I agree with the rest, but I would seal the cut edges before painting. What to use? Well, a solvent-based primer such as oil or lacquer is required to prep the surface for paint. Latex, oil or lacquer paints can be used once the primer dries. Or, apply a coat of clear acrylic sealant to all edges of the boards. Add an extra layer to any area that might be exposed to moisture. Do this by shaking up the can of sealant, opening the lid with a screwdriver and painting the product onto the wood using a paintbrush. Good luck

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

HELLO,

Hope it works for you!

You can paint with a preparation called ESP first and then pain as you like after.