Workshop Organization Ideas

$50

My tools were a mess. They were everywhere. I had to search for 20 minutes to find painter’s tape. I had 4 cans of polycyrlic because I could never find where I put the other cans. Does this sound like you? Could you use some tool and workshop organization ideas? If so, I have a few pegboard ideas to share with you to make your life easier and more organized. Basically I want to show you some pegboard hardware that you can use to hang and hold tools.

Are you interested in other home DIY projects? If so, head to my website here to find more ideas.

This was my basement. We moved in 12 months ago and never had a place to put our tools and hardware. Therefore, we simply dug through boxes when we needed to find things. It was a disaster of epic proportions.

Install pegboard

The first thing I wanted to do was install pegboard so that I could hang as many items as possible. This would really help save space. To install the pegboard, we used National Hardware pegboard spacers.

Pegboard needs to be installed a little bit away from the wall so that the pegboard hardware can be properly inserted. Pegboard spacers ensure that this happens.

We drilled the screws into the studs in the wall.

Put up your pegboard hardware hangers and fill with tools

I’m going to show you a few pieces of pegboard hardware that I love. The first are these parts trays that I use to hold nails, screws, etc.

Little hooks like these can be used to hold random tools like paint brushes, wrenches, etc.

Hardware that has multiple holes in it for tools is handy when you have a set of items, like a set of screwdrivers.

These 2-pronged hardware pieces are great for holding hammers and other similar tools. Their longer length allows for multiple tools to be stacked on them.

There are many other pegboard hardware options such as pliers holders, shelf brackets and power drill holders.

Consider additional storage areas

Taking a step back from the pegboard, you can see that I also have a few other storage options. Our large workbench has the option of lower level shelving or large items. Additionally, we have lockers to store items out of sight.

There are many workshop organization options. Over time I’ll probably add more to my workshop. However, for now, the pegboard with the handy hardware and the lockers are providing enough storage to keep me organized and efficient in my work.

Looking for easy furniture refinishing projects? Head here to find a beautifully whitewashed coffee table tutorial.

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Everything Red For Canada Day
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Mary @ The Handcrafted Haven

• Em

The entire area is beautiful but I am in love with the lockers. Where did you get them?

• Thank you, Em! I got them off Facebook Marketplace. I have more lockers in my mudroom that I also got from Facebook Marketplace. Lockers are just so handy for storing and hiding stuff!

• Lynne Clark

What pegboard item did you use for the vice grips [top left]?

Very well done, as an apartment dweller, I have not had this option.

• CS

I had my pegboard in my condo apartment.

• Cardinal
    4 minutes ago

Where do you find lockers?

• Ladybug

I did something similar for organizing my craft supplies. I live în a 2 bedroom condo so, like apartment dwellers, there options are limited. But, organization is even more critical! Or 2nd BR is a guest room so I sacrificed about half of the guestroom closet. It's a wide closet with a pair of bifold doors. First I bought a tall narrow trash container to put in the corner against the side wall.i use this space for wrapping paper, and other tall item. I put a plastic 3 drawer cabinet next to that. Then up goes a pegboards! With limited space, I placed the hardware as close as possible and still remain useable. I love the convencience and organization I have now!

• Cardinal

Funny, in your 1st picture, I don't see one tool ! Can't help but wonder if that mess is still there. However...Great job on the tools and peg board. I really need something equally nice for both a mess like you showed, and one created by piles of papers!  I look forward to those ideas!

• Haha, I never even noticed that about my first pic! Thankfully that mess is gone. What isn't up on my pegboard or underneath my bench is in the lockers. The lockers are really amazing for holding all sorts of stuff! I've made each little locker a different theme like plumbing, electrical, spray paint, etc. To make it easy to find things.