Pastel Rainbow Furniture Makeover

$100

I picked up this chest of drawers at an estate sale. It is a quality, well made piece but I didn’t know just what I wanted to do with it so it sit for months and finally the idea came to me!

I love rainbows, and decided I could paint each drawer a different color for something fun and different.

Before

I paint a lot and I always like to try new brands so I already had all these various colors to use for my project. I went with all these pastel colors as they flowed well together.

I prepped my piece first by cleaning with Krud Kutter, removing the hardware and scuff sanding the base, and sanding the entire top as I wanted to white wash it.

The thing about paint is things always look bad before they look good! Ha.

This was the first coat. That first coat is always scary looking. I went back and used three coats of each. This may vary with the type of paint you are using. Just keep going until you get solid coverage.

I used General Finishes white glaze over the top as a stain. I also used a water misting bottle to spray the sides where the colors meet and while the paint was wet I blended each of the colors into each other for a smoother transition rather than a blunt one.

You can see the subtle blending on the sides here. I ended up shining up the hardware with Brasso and used Jolie clear wax to seal the whole thing.

Now it reminds me of those Pez dispenser pastel candies they make.

This was so fun to do!

I hope this can inspire you to try something fun too.

Check me out on Instagram for paint tutorials in stories

Instagram.com/pickedandposhed

Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?

To see more: //instagram.com/pickedandposhed

• Jeanette wedge
    Jeanette wedge

Did you have to strip the finish on the dresser first?

• Carli
    Carli

I need to know the exact colors you used for each drawer and brand. I love this piece so much and tried to recreate it and my colors were way off Haha but not giving up hope for my rainbow dresser. Please help me put a smile on a little girls face.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

You transformed an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan!

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Now that you have completed the project with success, treat yourself to some Pez, or maybe some Richardson mints.