Epoxy Pour Ocean Art on Pallet Wood

$120

This post is sponsored by Alumilite Corp. All opinions are my own.

I've recently started dabbling in epoxy pouring to create my own art. I love finding new ways to up cycle wood. Speaking of up cycling, I can't wait to show you how I created my own ocean art on a piece of pallet wood! This was a fun project that involves pouring colored epoxy to create a fun ocean scene. I can't wait to show you how!

Let me first show you the pallet wood wall decor that I purchased from a craft store. You could easily cut this from an actual pallet, but I happened to have one of these on hand.

I used regular old white acrylic paint to give it a little color. You don't have to paint it, but since it had been previously used (you can see how I created a wood pallet art sign with a dry brush technique), I needed to create a blank slate. 

Materials

Did I mention that I got all the materials for this project in an Ocean Art kit through a company called Alumilite? They provide everything you need, including the epoxy, dye, buckets for mixing and even the stir attachment! Side note; they don't provide the hair dryer, gloves or drill.

Look at the pretty colors we are going to mix with the epoxy!

Let's get started with this DIY ocean art project with an epoxy resin pour on pallet wood.

Mix equal parts A and B together for 4-6 minutes

The first thing you need to do is mix equal parts A and B together for 4-6 minutes. Make sure to use the mixing attachment with the drill- this makes mixing a breeze!

This is what the epoxy should look like after it's mixed. Make sure to mix for the entire time that is suggested- this is so important! If you see streaks or anything cloudy (minus bubbles) that means you have not mixed enough!

Divide epoxy into four smaller buckets

Next use your big bucket to pour your epoxy resin into the smaller four buckets. Make sure to leave an equal amount in the large bucket too.

Add color to the smaller buckets of epoxy

Follow the instructions to add color to each smaller bucket. You will have five colors (blue, dark blue, tan, white and clear). Mix them really well.

Start to pour the first color- dark blue

Decide about where you want to pour the different colors. You can make marks with a pencil if you need to. I used the wood slats to mark the delineation between colors.

Pour the light blue

Pour the light blue above the dark blue making sure to mix the colors a little.

Use blow dryer or heat gun to blend the colors

At this point you can use either a blow dryer or heat gun to blend the colors together to make it look more "fluid." The heat gun is a little more effective at blending but you can always use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun.

Add tan epoxy above the light blue

Here is where I hit a snag. When I started pouring the tan epoxy I noticed that it started to harden. Ugh. Good thing I left extra part A and part B because I needed to mix more.

Note to self; work faster. I'm so bad about getting distracted, LOL. That being said, it had only been about 20 minutes since I mixed the epoxy.

Add white epoxy and blend

Next I added a little white epoxy between the light and dark blue and in between the light blue and tan. Use your hair dryer or heat gun to blend the colors.

Hindsight I probably should have mixed more tan first.

Add gravel to the tan epoxy

After I mixed and added more tan epoxy I decided to drop a few pieces of gravel to make the "beach area" look more realistic.

At this point I still wasn't totally satisfied with the ocean art scene, so I decided to mix a little more tan epoxy- this time I decided to make it a little darker. 

I almost forgot to add that I hot glued a little rope to the top!

Y'all ready to see the finished product?

I hope you've enjoyed this project as much as I enjoyed creating it! The ocean art kit from Alumilite was so easy to work with and provided almost everything I needed to create this beautiful piece of art!

Ocean Art Scene with Alumilite ocean art kit

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Lindsey

• Cheryl Kennedy-Jones

I LOVE THIS! It is absolutely unique! A fishing pier on the right would look awesome, IF you were so inclined! You are EXTREMELY creative, as this doesn't look real easy to work with! Definitely beachy though!!!

• Lisa West

Looks great. Looks like it was fun to do to.