DIY Firewood Rack

$50

Rome wasn’t built in a day but this DIY firewood rack was! Yepp it’s that simple to make & it looks so good. We desperately needed a space to store all of our firewood because it was looking like a hot mess.

The best part is that this cute little rack matches the exterior of our home & looks so good. Even the shingles match, (wait until you see how I pulled that off). The entire build cost about $50 & now all of our bonfire wood has a cozy, covered place to hang out until we are ready for it!

Supplies:

Building The Base

This DIY firewood rack is 4ft long & 2ft wide. The first step is to build the base frame for the rack. I made ours out of 2x4s & attached with 2″ wood screws.

Cutting Slots

Next, I cut a plywood base to fit on top of the frame. Using a jigsaw I cut out slots for the 2x4s to fit into.

Screw Plywood Onto Base

Now that all 4 slots are cut screw the plywood into the 2×4 base.

Insert 2x4s

Next, inset the 2x4s into the slots. The 2x4s are cut at 4′ a piece.

Securing Legs

Secure the 2x4s with wood screws from the outside.

Cutting Roof Angle

Now that the 2x4s are secured its time to cut the top at an angle for the roof to sit on. We used a chalk line to mark the angle & a circular saw to cut it.

Attaching The Top

After the angles are cut you can attach the plywood top. I attached the top using 2″ wood screws.

Attach Slats

Now that the base is put together its time to attach slats to the sides. For the slats, I used 1×3 pieces & a 2×4 as a spacer (probably my favorite lazy girl hack).

Slats

Each side got 5 slats total & I attached them with 1 1/2″ wood screws.

Shingles

Did you know you could buy small packs of shingles from Lowes?! It’s true just make sure you grab the right color 😉 If you happen to grab the wrong color (cough cough..like me) don’t stress I have a hack for that!

Attaching Shingles

Finally, it’s time to attach the shingles which is really simple, just hammer them on using roofing nails. This pack was $24 & the most expensive part of the project, but I feel like it really finished off the rack.

Spray Painted Shingles

So I accidentally bought red shingles & I really needed black to match our roof. It turns out you can simply spray paint the shingles (who knew)! The color of the firewood holder (Valspar Iron Frost) is a pretty close match to the house which was the plan. I wanted it to look like an extension of the house.

Ta-Da

I think we nailed it what do y’all think? This was such a simple build & now our firewood has a home of its own. Justin also added another shelf for our small pieces of wood & fire starters, he wanted it to be extra fancy 😉

Want to see more of my DIY outdoor projects?! Head this way!

18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Lia with Southern Yankee DIY

• MB

I am always thinking of a project to build for my husband. And a firewood box is always on my mind. Love the use of shingles on this box.

• Lisa West

Looks great. Don't you hate having logs chunks all over the yard. Then you have to mow the yard. So when your mowing you have become the grass champion and defender of the lawn. The lawn mower have become a fire arm. Any one who happens to bein the yard at that time or any where near the yard get hits with wood bullets. Lol wood boxes are very nice to have. Yours looks great. You took care in how it looks. Not just some wood thrown together to protect wood.