Upcycle Broken Eyeglasses Into a Personalized Map Keychain

$1

Whilst in lockdown I've been having a good sort out of my junk. As part of this process I decided to tackle that kitchen drawer that you stuff small things in. The things that you pick up around the house that you think are useful but don't need them now. Amoung the many keys, batteries, elastic bands and old corks I found some old broken eyeglasses. Why they were in there I don't know as no one in my family wears glasses.

Instead of throwing them out I decided to use them to make some personalized map keychains. I've printed maps on rocks before to make personalized keychains which were very popular, so I knew that this was a good idea.

To make these fun keychains the first thing you need to do is to remove the arms of the glasses. This is normally done with a small screw on the side.

To remove the nose band betwen the lenses I used a rotary tool. The bit where the nose pad sat had handy metal loop which I kept intact for fixing the keyring to the glasses.

If you don't have this metal loop on your glasses with a diamond tiped drill bit you can drill a hole through the lense and use a o-ring to fix the key ring to the lense.

Next, I found an old road map of one of my favourite places. I then placed the lense over the map and drew around it.

I then cut out this piece of map and using Mod Podge I pasted the map to the underside of the lense face side up.

Once the map had dried. I simply used some sandpaper to remove any bits of map hanging over the frame.

I had such fun making these keychains I made some as necklaces using a leather thong and some vintage world maps. To see these and to download world map templates visit the blog post link at the end.

You can also use old eyeglasses to make some lovely vintage Chrismtas ornaments.

Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Connie Etzkin

Does this only work on wire frames?

• Jewellmartin

We made a trip into the Smokey Mountains this year and took our elementary school-aged granddaughters to see these ancient beautiful heights. I kep several tourist and highway maps. I’m inspired to make a couple of necklaces, and plastic frames are the way I will go. With careful sanding at any sharp points, I think plastic would be safer if one of the girls should fall while wearing the necklace, while climbing a tree, jumping on the trampoline. The girls will love these.

• Pat

Wouldn't the glass break? Dont think the modge podge is a strong enough stabilizer.

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Depends on the glasses but most of the glasses I had the lenses were quite thick so they were very strong. I haven't broken one yet.

• Jeannie Carle

My grandchildren are very homesick transplants from AZ - I think I will do this for them, showing Phx, Tempe, and Maricopa. Thank you!

• Amy Ogden-Paparone

Absolutely LOVE this idea!! There are so many things you can do with them. Make them for your kids with the town/city they were born, where they were married, took their first step... So glad you shared this! Ingenious!