Cozy Cottage Bedroom Decor

$750
5 Months
Advanced

Hey hey, friends! Our cozy cottage style guest bedroom makeover has been in the works for over 5 months now! It’s been one of the longest makeover processes I’ve done in a space, but I also think it’s a big reason I love it so much. Taking my time and taking things step by step really allowed me to be intentional with the every single thing in this beautiful room! Read on to see the steps I took to achieve this look.

(P.S. I hope you'll come check out my blog for more decorating and DIY inspiration!)

The Before:

This room was just blah before. The headboard and bed were too large for the 10x10 space.

Tip 1: Correct bed size

This room is small – 10’x10′ – so my entire goal was for it to feel extra cozy, yet also more spacious than it did before. We downsized from a CalKing bed to a  Queen, and it made all the difference. The queen sized bed fits so much better in the smaller space.

Tip 2: DIY Features

Y’all saw me DIY this Board and Batten wall, and paint it in Fresh Balsam from Sherwin Williams. It’s still one of my favorite features.

For a huge impact, the board and batten wall was relatively inexpensive, and it really only required some wood, primer, and paint!

Another DIY project was this stenciled wall above the board and batten, which adds the perfect amount of interest as well. One stencil plus some paint and a foam roller was all it took!

These DIYs really are the showpieces of the space, and allowed me to add more texture and cozy on a budget.

Tip 3: Add Vintage Pieces

I also love swapping out different vintage artwork above the bed – it’s both easy and fun to change it up! And I really can’t wait to get my hands on this space for Christmas!

The two floating nightstands add some much needed bedside space for our guests, without taking up extra room.

Tip 4: Less Storage but More Charm

Because this room has the largest closet of all of our extra bedrooms, I didn’t feel like I needed to clutter the space even more with a dresser or other storage – the large closet is plenty of space for guests.

So instead, opposite the bed, I added more cozy cottage charm with a faux vintage mantel that I built a few months back. You can see what a huge difference if made from this before shot to the after!

We have a TV that we can hang if our guests like (there is a french cleat already installed on the wall), but otherwise I keep the space styled with various things – art, chippy windows, canvas prints, etc. It’s another place I can’t wait to spruce up for the holidays!

Tip 5: Add a Grounding Base (Rug)

The jute rug really grounds the space and helps to cover our orange colored faux “wood” floors that I’m not a big fan of. It also adds all the yummy texture you know I love. The simple cream duvet is from the Hearth & Hand line at Target, which balances out the floral sheets I added to the bed – those are the sheets my mom had on our guest bed growing up, so I love having them here now!

Tip 6: Metallic Accents for an Upscale Accent

The final touch were the copper wall sconces, which I smuggled into California. Really though – I guess there is a new law that passed this past year about electrical standards, and these guys didn’t meet them. So instead of settling, I just ordered them to my parents in Oregon and they brought them down for us! And even better, no sales tax in Oregon either! The copper matches the new ceiling fan we installed from Hunter fans, which we also love.

The Whole Look

It may not be your style, and that's a-ok by me! We love this room in all it's cozy cottage charm! It's absolutely perfect for this tiny room and fits the famrhouse/cottage style of our home so well! But whatever your style, I hope some of these tips help you when decorating a bedroom in your own home!

Hope to see you over on my blog, too!

Enjoy!

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Ana Ochoa - Fiddle Leaf Interiors

• Diane

The Wall above the Bed is that Stencil or Wallpaper?

• Do you take reservations for naps? Looks so comfy!!

• Ilv
    Just now

This is so pretty. Do you have shelving or a small chest in your closet for guests shaving kits etc. ? I have an old oak mantle that came from the hills of WV years ago. I am thinking of putting it on my bedroom wall with my tv above it. If I do, I am going to try and cut thru to the guest room closet which is behind the wall I would use. I will use cabinet doors so that I have an easy access space for my shoes and purses from either side. The perfect solution would be to be able to put up matching closet doors from my side, but I don't want to lose the wall space for the tv and a small chair would look great in front of the cabinet doors. ((I am afraid I am better at visualizing than verbalizing.))