Asked on Aug 4, 2020

How to remove large patches of crabgrass ?

Lauren of Mom Home GuideSimple Nature DecorMaura White
+18

Answered

My garage and patio were recently completed. The contractor spread seed and mulch on the exposed dirt which is over half of my yard. My sod was perfect until he laid this stuff down. Since Saturday my daughter and I have filled 5 lawn bags with weeds! I’ve never even seen some of these weeds in my life! I can’t stand looking at this anymore....a lawn service won’t do anything until September....would a sod lifter work to remove the huge patches of crabgrass? I can’t spray anything because I have a dog. Any suggestions? Thank you!



14 answers
  • Vinegar will kill the crabgrass if you can 'spot spray' it so you don't kill your other grass, and the vinegar won't harm your dog.

  • GrandmasHouseDIY
    on Aug 4, 2020

    Agreed on the vinegar treatment. It can be time consuming just spraying the vinegar on what you want to kill but it does work and would give the rest of your lawn a chance to fill in.

    • Chriss Grijak
      on Aug 4, 2020

      Thank you! I have several gallons on plain white vinegar in the basement...going out there now!

  • Oliva
    on Aug 4, 2020

    Your contractor most likely spread a very cheap seed on your lot that had a high percentage of weeds. As you cannot spray chemicals, the vinegar may be your only current option.

    • Oliva
      on Aug 6, 2020

      Hi, Chriss,

      I've learned the hard way to always ask landscape contractors for very detailed info. re: seed they plan to use. It's generally the case that they'll use cheap seed to increase their profit margin

      ( and your workload, to repair the mess).

      In the end, either specify in writing what you want, and have him sign it (then take photos of his product and his application in case you need to call him back), or be prepared to do your own re-seeding. I really hope the vinegar works for you!

  • Unexpected Elegance
    on Aug 5, 2020

    There is some good information regarding crabgrass on this site:

    http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/getting-rid-of-crab-grass.html

  • Cynthia H
    on Aug 5, 2020

    Boiling water will kill it, too. Good luck and stay safe!

  • Flipturn
    on Aug 5, 2020

    Boiling water will kill only the portions of the plant/weed growing above ground. Unless the roots are pulled out or killed also, the weeds will continue to pop up.

  • Deb K
    on Aug 6, 2020

    Hi Chriss, Spray the crabgrass with vinegar.

    This all-natural method to kill crabgrass is a great option that won't cause lasting soil damage. Simply spray the vinegar (5% acidity or higher) on the weed until it's drenched. Repeat a few times over the course of several days to a couple weeks, or until the crabgrass is dead. Remove the dead crab grass in case any rhizomes survive and regrow


  • Betsy
    on Aug 6, 2020

    Geeze Chriss: You can spray this on your crabgrass without harm to your dog:

    The recipe I use is:

    1 gallon of white vinegar

    2 cups of Epsom salts

    1/4 cup of dish washing detergent, like Dawn.

    Mix the vinegar and salt until the salt is completely dissolved.

    Mix in the Dawn until mixed well, but not all fuzzy and sudsy, sort of swirl it around.

    Put in a spray bottle and spray the weeds liberally, in the morning after the dew has gone. Then, by evening the weeds should be dead or on their way out. Don't spray anything you want to keep or it will die too. I have used this and it works quite well. Also, it's good for making an edging as it kills only what it touches. If you have something like a piece of cardboard, hold it up and down, edgewise, and spray the area you want as an edge. Just be careful not to spray your flowers and/or bushes. Good luck

    • Betsy
      on Aug 7, 2020

      As for the wasp nest, here's what you do. and you do it at night. Get a tiki torch or 2, put them near the nest. At night, when it's dark, turn off all the lights in the house, bring in the cat and/or dog, and go outside and light the torches. Be sure they are away from the house. Spray the nest liberally with wasp killer and hoof it into the house. Remember, no lights. Those little buggers will come swarming out to kill the first thing it sees. Those tiki torches! They will fly into them and die. If you have a light on in the house, they will make a bee line (no pun intended) to the light! I did this once and my neighbours cat came to see what was going on. I picked it up and ran into the house. I turned on the light and those wasps came flying right into the glass on the door. When I turned the light out, they headed for the torches. I called the neighbour to tell her I had her cat for a sleep over with my cat :) In the morning I cleaned up the dead wasps and did the same thing a second night just to be sure. I also told the neighbour to keep her cat in :)

  • Maura White
    on Aug 6, 2020

    You could use a non-chemical spray like this to help: https://www.hometalk.com/38537988/diy-weed-killer

  • Simple Nature Decor
    on Aug 11, 2020

    You have to redo your lawn by raking and reseeding

  • Lauren of Mom Home Guide
    on Aug 11, 2020

    This how to article might be helpful.

Your comment...