Asked on Aug 5, 2020

How can I paint the mirror stand?

Agnes ChrzanowskaCarrie @ Curly Crafty MomLauren of Mom Home Guide
+24

I have a mirror stand that the paint is peeling off of it. I was trying to sand it down by hand with the 220 sandpaper I was wondering if I would be able to send it down enough to get the paint flakes off of it so I could paint it? Without it looking like they're still cracks in the paint. I'm doing it in the basement so I can't put a stripper on it that wouldn't be toxic to have in the house.

I'm not sure if you can see the paint flaking off of this?

• You should be able to sand off the flaking paint. If you want to use a stripper inside, you can use Citristrip.

• Karen

I might try that because sanding it does not seem to be working for me. Is it a mess to work with?

• Zard Pocleeb

No problem with sanding it down, it’ll work just fine. Make sure to sand the entire area around it to so it doesn’t look like there’s a dip in the wood. If the surface is flat using a random orbit sander will make the job faster, and easier to do. If you already have one, or can borrow one you’ll be all set. Buying one is an option but they are somewhat pricey, starting out in the $40 range and they get much higher.

• Kathy Gunter Law

You can use Citristrip indoors. But if you are vigilant enough, you should be able to sand it smoothly enough. Make sure to use a good bonding primer before painting.

• Karen

I didn't know I was going to need a primer. Thank you for that information. Have a good day.

• Nan W.

Sand off the flaking paint, then prime, then a couple of coats of a good latex. Win!

• Em

Try 80-100 grit sandpaper. The larger the number the finer the sandpaper. It will take a much longer time to remove flaking paint with 220. There are non toxic stripper like Safest Stripper and Citristrip but they are ALL a gooey mess. I always use sandpaper.

• Chloe Crabtree

Yes, you should be able to sand it enough to get a nice finish to be ready to paint.

• Karen

Thank you for your input. I'm sure it's going to be a work in progress . LOL I worked on sanding it yesterday and it didn't seem to do much good cuz there's a lot of detail on the post of the stand.

• Debi53

Definitely go with a rougher sandpaper to start. This will save lots of effort. Then use the 220 grit to "polish" the piece. Use a really good primer that will adhere to slick surfaces since you probably won't get all the slick surface off the grooved parts sanded.

• Deb K

Hi Karen, you can use a flapwheel on a drill, then paint it with chalk paint, it covers really well!

• Karen

I just might try that, thank you so much.

You need to use a coarse sandpaper. 80 grit should work. Fold the sand[paper to get into the detail. You don't need to sand down to raw wood. Just sand the remove any loose paint. Prime with Kilz primer then paint your color

• Dee

I would use a lower grit 80 sandpaper to take off the flakes, then go over it with 220 to smooth out the wood. Try using an emory board to sand the grooves. Or if the grooves are not flaking do not worry about them. You will need to prime the wood with a stain blocking primer. Lightly sand between 2 coats. Then you can paint with the color of your choice. Paint with a good acrylic latex paint. Sherwin Williams sells a really good one. I would use a mohair 4 or 6 inch roller on the mirror.

• Maura White

I totally agree with Dee - she's got the perfect recipe!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

There are non toxic strippers that you could use indoors, just talk to someone at your local hardware store.

• Janice

After seeing the pics, I'd advise sandpaper as the best product to use. Start with a coarse gran, especially on the base where there appears to be the most wear, then finish off with a 220 grit before priming and painting. CitriStrip works well but it will not smooth the wood which is needed or this piece.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I would sand it and then paint it with chalk paint. I really like the Decoart chalky finish paints. You can see a project I completed with it here. Make sure you wear a mask when you sand, so you don't breathe in sawdust.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would sand it with a rougher sand paper, then do a finer one. Here are some tips on how to paint it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNSd0xYfVJ0

• Agnes Chrzanowska

of course that you can .. I would use chalk paint it is super easy to apply