DIY Iron and Ironing Board Holder For Stylish Laundry Organization

$15

I think it 's safe to say that we all want beautiful functional spaces to live in. But sometimes our budget, time and layout of our house make this challenging.

This is true for my laundry room. The studs are still visible in our unfinished basement laundry room. So we keep our iron and ironing board in the upstairs linen/coat closet. The ironing board is hanging by its arm literally on the closet rod pole.

I wish this post was about how we did this amazing remodel in our laundry room...but it's not, sigh. Instead, I have this DIY Iron and Ironing board holder that improved this space by at least 11% and helped me clear some scrap wood.

I built the holder to hold the ironing board and the iron to easily keep everything in one place.

I used scrap 3/4" plywood and scrap 5/8 and 1 1/4 inch wood dowels. If you don't have any scrap then you can purchase 3/4 inch plywood or a 1 x 10 or 1 x 12. For the rail you can use a dowel, piece of wood, or thin piece of metal. For the iron board hooks, you could use a 2 x 2 or hooks, if you don't have a dowel.

Here is what my cuts looked like.

Once you have your cuts, drill a 5/8 inch hole on each of the side pieces for the 5/8 inch dowel (rail). If you don't have a forstner bit you can glue and clamp in place and secure with a few nails. Another option is to use a scrap piece of wood, glue and nail in place, or a thin piece of metal and nail it to the front.

Attach one of the side pieces to the back using wood glue and 1 1/4 inch 18G brad nails nailed through the back piece. Wood clamps help to hold it in place. Then stand up the other side piece and mark your 5/8 inch wood dowel measurement for the rail.

Dry fit your dowel until you get the correct length. Apply glue in the dowel holes, clamp in place and nail the second side piece in place as you did with the first side piece. If needed you can add a couple of nails to the outside of the side piece to hold the dowel in place. I used a pin nailer for this with 1-inch pin nails. 

Add the bottom piece. Apply glue on three sides, clamp and nail in place. 

Sand the holder.

Add the hooks. I used 1 1/4 inch wood dowels for my hooks. You can use metal hooks, scrap 2 x 2 or any other ideas you can come up with. To add the wood dowels mark for placement. I left about three inches of clearance for placing and removing the ironing board. Drill a pilot hole through the back piece and in the center of each wood dowel. 

Apply wood glue to the dowels and insert the 1 5/8 inch screws through the back board and into the wood dowels. Use a clamp to hold the wood dowel in place while you screw it in for a tight fit. 

*Tip - Before adding the screws, I drilled a countersink hole in the back to allow the screw to lay flush with the wood. 

Stain or paint the holder. I layered two different stains, first Varathane Sunbleached then Mixwax Early American.

Add hanging hardware and hang in your desired place. I attached two keyhole fasteners to the back. 

Now my ironing board is no longer hanging on for dear life.

If you like this post then check out these Simple DIY Wood Lanterns and this DIY Modern Firewood Holder, both made from scrap wood.

Thanks for checking out this post and please come stop by at my website Dream Design DIY.

Happy building,

Tiffany

25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Tiffany from Dream Design DIY