How To Make a House Framed Planter

$3

If you have been following my blog, you know that the first Wednesday of the month I host a DIY Challenge. I gathered a group of bloggers who loves creating budget friendly home décor too. 🙂 For the August’s challenge, I asked my friends to create something using dowel rods. You can find all their links to each of their blogs at the end of my page.

HOW TO MAKE A FRAMED HOUSE PLANTER

Items I used:

• Two ½" dowel rod - I only used 1 ½
  • One shadow box from Dollar Tree - size 5¾" square
  • Sand block
  • Wood glue
  • Wood filler
  • Both craft and chalk paint
  • Miter saw and box
  • Dollar Tree hack saw
  • Hot glue and glue gun
  • Pencil
  • Tape measurer
  • Speed square

To prepare the Dollar Tree shadow box: Remove the center decoration, the saw tooth wall holder and the stickers from the back. Sand the back and clean well.

For the center of my frame I am created the look of a piece of wood. Here's how I created a faux wood panel.

I painted the back panel with Khaki craft paint by Apple Barrel.

Letting the Khaki paint dry thoroughly.

Next, I took the end of a paint brush dipped it into Melted Chocolate craft paint by Apple Barrel making swirl marks randomly on the panel.

Not giving the dark brown swirls enough time to dry, I dry brushed in a dragging motion with Nutmeg brown (Apple Barrel)and a fan brush. By not letting the swirls dry this causes the dark brown swirls to drag along, as well.

I painted the frame and back with Waverly chalk paint in Ink.

Let that dry completely. Working on cutting the dowel rods. To cut my pieces I am using the Dollar Tree hack saw. Pieces you will need:

• Four pieces cut at 5"
  • Two pieces cut at 4 ½"
  • Four pieces cut at 3 ½"
  • Two pieces cut at 2"

To achieve a 45º angle I am using a miter box, you can use a hack saw.  I will share down a step or two how I used my hack saw.

Taking the four 5" pieces and cutting a 45° angle.

To smooth out the cut edges I used my sanding block.

This part I will show how I cut a 45º angle without a miter box.

Cutting each end of the four 3½" piece and one of the 4½" piece in a 45º angle. Make sure to cut the longest part of the angle on the same side. I marked the angel needed with a pencil, using my Dollar Tree hack saw I cut with the line.

Cutting a 45º angle on one edge of the two 2" pieces.

With the other 4½" piece I created a curvature to each end. 

I used a piece of sand paper wrapping it around a paint brush handle. As a result, it curved in the center.

Next, I used a sanding block to sand down all the cut ends of my pieces. 

Painted all my pieces with Ink chalk paint by Waverly.

Taking the four 5" pieces and the shadow box. Applying the four pieces to each corner of the box with wood glue and hot glue.

Gluing one end of the four 3½" pieces to the 5" pieces.

Gluing the 2" piece in the center of the 3½" pieces.

Taking the 4½" curvature piece and apply it the the bottom of the 2" piece.

Adding the other 4½" piece with angle ends to the top of the 2" piece.

To fill in the gaps I am using wood filler. Taking a piece of wood filler, rolling it in my hands and placing it around the cut areas.

Let that dry for several hours. After it dries, sand down, wipe off and paint one coat with Waverly Ink chalk paint.

I applied two coats of Matt finish to the entire house.

For this project, I have all the supplies you need listed out, measurements all ready for you to cut your pieces. All you need to do is buy your supplies, build your house frame and have fun!

Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Decorate and More with Tip

• Debra

where do you live are dollar store dont sell them

• It's crazy how some Dollar Trees carry one thing and not all stores. I know other stores has shadow boxes. Try Walmart, Dollar General or even Hobby Lobby.

• Candice

I don’t woodwork but GORGEOUS! I love this!!!

• it does have cutting of the little dowel rods. I love my larger metal one I found at Kirkland's so I made a smaller one using dowel rods. Thank you!

• Pallet and Pantry

Love this so much!! I would never have thought to use dowels for this!! Looks so much like metal it’s unbelievable!! ❤️