DIY Pumpkin Pillows - Fall Decor Ideas

$4

Down south we do not have a “real” fall experience since everything is green and it is still hot, therefore our decor has to create the fall experience during the day and at night. Night time lighting is a must. You are going to love these solar fairy lights.

We have a dilemma with fresh pumpkins rotting almost immediately if left outside so to solve that I use faux pumpkins. I make a ton of fabric pumpkins using my easy sew fabric pumpkin pattern and instructions from this earlier post.

Cozy fall in my secret garden

My cozy fall book ready chair

If you have been following my blog then you know I make pillows for every holiday and I wanted to make a new pumpkin pillow in traditional colors. It needed to be easy to sew (just one seam), therefore it could not have a zipper so I used my envelope pillow technique you can find in the earlier post. You can see how I made the pillow in an earlier post.

Decorating with Fall Flowers

Fall colors can be found in nature and we have plenty to choose from in the fall. The sunflowers and yellow coneflowers are still in bloom so I am using them to create a fall vibe in my secret garden (this is the area outside my studio.)

It calls my name to come out and have a chai break. Nature is the best place to take a break to recharge and refresh. The bonus is getting a dose of vitamin D.

Fabric pumpkins and pumpkin applique pillow

More Creative Pumpkin Decorating Ideas

My daughter, Olivia, is an artist and blogger and she created a 3D fabric pumpkin that sewed up easily. I cannot wait to make one too. I think I will make a collection of these fabric pumpkins for my front porch since they will not rot.

DIY Window Flower Box

DIY Window Flower Box

My DIY Window Flower Box was going to get a few faux pumpkins, but to my delight as I was getting ready to add one a bird flew out of it. I then saw a nest full of tiny birds. My pumpkins will have to wait.

Obelisk during the day

DIY Obelisk with Solar Lights

Fall Outdoor Lighting

One thing I miss during the fall are the longer days, in other words, the extra sunshine, to that end, I added solar lights. I built some easy DIY Lanterns and Obelisk with solar lights (you can see them in an earlier post).

The beautiful trellis in the background will have lanterns added as well. You can see how to build an easy trellis in an earlier post too. I purchased some solar tea lights and solar fairy lights I cannot wait to try out.

DIY Obelisk with glass solar globes and solar fair lights

Obelisk at night

My yard is dreamy every night of the year because of my solar lights. It really helps with those short days in the winter.

Obelisk at dusk

Yellow Coneflowers with solar light

Coneflowers are a wonderful addition to your garden they are a perennial so you only have to plant them once and enjoy them every summer and fall.

DIY Solar Lanterns on my DIY Trellis

DIY Trellis and Solar Lanterns

Pillow form with pumpkin pattern

Every season I change the covers on my pillow inserts (forms) I usually make my own throw pillow covers. It saves money and I make exactly what I want. In the photo I have placed my pumpkin pattern on the pillow insert to make sure it is going to fit on the pillow.

Pumpkin traced on Wonder Under on felt

I have traced the outline of my pillow pattern on Wonder Under. Apply according to manufacturer's instructions.

Trim away extra felt and Wonder Under

Cut the pumpkin out following your pencil lines.

Place pumpkin in the center of your fabric

I decided to make the easiest pillow making method - an envelope pillow method (you can see how to make one in an earlier post).

Apply according to manufacturer's instructions.

Embellishments for pumpkin

For the stem and leaf I repeated the same method I used for the pumpkin.

I then made a twine bow and stitched it one with thread.

NOTE: Since I used felt there is no need to stitch the raw edges.

Wide sides for envelope pillow

If you are using the envelope method for your pillow construction you will have one wide piece of fabric with a pumpkin in the center. See the complete how-to on the blog.

Water Soluble Marks removed

Pumpkin pillow with mini pumkin

Super easy mini pumpkin

With the leftover fabric I decided I would make an adorable fabric pumpkin. You can learn how to make these easy pumpkins and grab a free pattern from my post on the blog.

Supplies for mini pumpkins

Gather these easy supplies for make your mini fabric pumpkins.

The secret garden is ready for fall

Enjoying a little break in the garden

Adding some texture and color with cozy throw blankets and pillows is the fastest way to add some fall color. I will be sharing how to make an easy throw blanket so please check back.

Thank you for your visit today. Don't forget to save this project. Please let me know if you found any inspiration in the comments below. Love to hear from you!!!

See you soon,

Kippi

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Kippi | Kippi At Home