Asked on Aug 5, 2020

How do I fix an ice hazard in the backyard?

RymeaBecky at Flipping the FlipFlipturn
+18

There is a valley between the garage and a mound of rock that creates a skating rink in the winter when the snow melts and re-freezes. This is where I have to walk to take the trash bins out to the alley every week. I was going to try to move the mound of rock, but it's solid rock.

Rock mound on left. Garage on right.

• Normally, I would say build up the valley, but you don't want to have water back-up into your garage. Could you make the rock mound your new path?

• Shelley

Thanks. I've been using those removable rubber treads on the bottom of my boots. One broke so maybe I'll get another pair.

Hi Shelly: I'm confused. Is the garage on the left? What's that on the right? Could you please provide a couple more pictures so we can see where you go to the alley and where the garage and valley are? I'm not seeing the whole picture :( Thanks

Do you come out of the back yard to get to the bins? Can you move the bins closer to your back door? In the winter, you don't have to worry about flies. Where is the alley? If you can take several pictures of the area, we can give you better help and ideas.

• Deb K

Hi Shelley, you need to build that low spot up with black dirt to level with the rock mound, once it is level you can reseed the grass or put sod down.

getting rid of the low spot is all that help

• Johnavallance82

HELLO,

Raise the level of the ground, so all is level with no dips, to prevent water going to the low point and then turning to ice. Best wishes

• Redcatcec

The low spot is a gravity fed area for water to flow to, fill it in and build it up so water does not go there.

• Unique Creations By Anita

Can you not put down grit in the winter months to solve this issue.

• K. Rupp

You will need to add dirt and regrade the property so the water flows away from your house. Raking that dirt to slope downwards away from the house. OR...with a large problem, needing to re-grade your property. You can re-grade your yard using a bobcat if it is very large. I would first check all gutters to make sure water isn't coming off the roof and pooling in different areas towards the house as well. Once the gutters have been cleaned and checked and you still have a problem there, then that little valley is the problem. You will also want to figure out the best placement for adding some drainage perforated pipes so that the water has some assistence flowing away from the house. This might be the type of drain pipe that you will need to insert into the dirt around the house or areas you are getting too much water:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-10-ft-Corex-Drain-Pipe-Perforated-4040010/100211970?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-100211705-_-100211970-_-N

The above link seems to have some videos next to the product. Watch them if you can! Good luck!

Build up the valley with dirt and regrade the ground so it's level with the surrounding ground

• Dee

I would build up the valley with top soil. Or you can try putting mulch on your mound so that it does not freeze into an ice skating rink.

• Happy Days Hometalker

Cement it in?

• Flipturn

One alternative to regrading the property is to have a narrow raised walkway/deck built running alongside the house just short of where the trash bins are now. If you wanted to continue storing them in the same corner, the decking would run just up to this spot, with a couple of steps to access the gate.

• Ideally you would regrade this, making sure water drains away from your house and any other foundation. If this is not possible you might consider building a raised walk though with water melting and refreezing there, it might uproot the path. Try researching how to drain or redirect the water.

• Rymea

Figure out where you want the water which drains into that grassy area and then turns to ice to go. Then slant the grassy area in that direction. Or dig a trench right beside the mound slanted to where you want the water to drain.

If that won't work then the high walkway next to the garage is the best idea, unless you want to hire some heavy equipment to get rid of the rock.