Asked on Aug 6, 2020

How do I repair what I think is lifting veneer ( 50 yr? end table)?

Agnes ChrzanowskaWilliamZard Pocleeb
+12

Sorry folks I should have included pics!!! (FYI : it was my Dad's and he's 92 and in hospice so I'd really like to keep it.)

Probably cannot be repaired but I want to try.

Just yuk!

This is the corner that is lifting

• Gently lift the edge and pour some glue underneath. Wood glue is a good choice or, I've even used super glue. Press down the veneer until the glue dries. If using wood glue, I put a piece of waxed paper over it and clamp it.

• Recreated Designs

Hi Cindy, you can reglue using wood glue or you can remove the entire piece of veneer. If it is a thin piece of wood, it is veneer. If you want to remove it, you can use a thin putty knife to slowly lift the rest and remove it and work with what is underneath.

• Cheryl A

Hi Cindy: If you have a syringe, you can inject glue under the veneer, if you can't lift it up, put a piece of waxed paper over the area and then something heavy on the area. Here are some sites that might help:

https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/home-diy/projects/how-to-repair-wooden-furniture-veneer.htm

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/fix-veneer-popped-up-old-table-77405.html

This is a great site:

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=how+to+fix+lifting+veneer&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMuqKN84brAhVJKa0KHTAECK0QsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=1252&bih=562

In order to get the best use of this site, look at the pictures, find the one that looks like your problem, left click on it. It will come up as a larger picture on the right side of the screen. Left click on that larger picture and you will get instructions on how to fix that problem. Not the picture you had in mind? Well, do the same thing on the smaller pictures on the left side. Just left click and do the same thing as above.

Good luck

• Kathy Gunter Law

If it is only slightly lifting, you can glue back down and use clamps to hold in place until dry. If it is damaged and splintering, go ahead and remove. Then you can put a finish on the wood that is underneath the veneer.

• Morgan McBride

You can glue it back down! If it is missing chuncks, it's best to remove it.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Cindy,

You could try placing brown paper on top of the veneer and using a warm iron to try to melt the glue and re-secure the veneer. Place heavy books on top to help it to settle. Best of luck!

• Nan W.

Cindy: if it's really a mess, maybe this will help

https://www.hunker.com/13404252/how-to-replace-a-wood-veneer-table-top

• Deb K

Hi Cindy, you can try this gently,

To repair lifted veneer, first insert the end of a fingernail file, emery board or the tip of a paper clip into the crack and scrape out as much deteriorated glue as possible. Be careful not to raise the loose veneer too high.

• Vimarhonor

Hello do you have all the pieces or are you missing parts.

could you possibly post a photograph to better see your situation and area of concern?

Having a visual might be helpful to be able to offer the best guidance .....to a help find the best suggestions or potential solution for your problem.

• Zard Pocleeb

It definitely looks like laminate. The suggestions already listed are good ones so I’ll comment on the other issues.

One of the things I do in my shop is a fair amount of furniture repair. It’s a very rare occurrence when a piece cannot be repaired, and this is no exception...from the pictures it definitely looks repairable.

The only fix for the two small missing pieces of trim is to either buy, or fabricate new pieces. It looks like a type of trim that you might be able to find, if not in a home center, then in a woodworking store. Even if they don’t stock it they might be able to make a piece of trim for very little. The store I always use for woodworking supplies and specialty lumber is Woodcraft.

As far as the pictures where the piece is coming apart, this is what I do in the majority of the repairs that come into the shop. The way I do these is to very gently deconstruct the pieces that are coming apart. You might be able to just squeeze some glue into the joint and clamp it.

BTW...it’s a beautiful piece.

You can glue the corner down. Use something flat to force wood glue under the corner. Put some plastic wrap on top and something heavy to to weigh it down. You can buy molding at Home Depot or Menards to replace what's missing around the leg. Sand the top with 100 grit sandpaper to remove the finish. Then 200 grit to smooth it out. Then you can restain the top. Apply glue to the dowel where the leg is separating. Use rope as a clamp around the legs to pull them together. Loop the rope around the legs and use a pencil, butter knife, etc and twist it around the rope to pull the separation together.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

Sand it off , patch it with wood putty and restain again