Upcycled Ribbed Wood Plant Cover (Using a Gelato Cup!)

$3

I eat a lot of gelato, and my favorite brand comes in a very nice, substantial, plastic cup that pains me to get rid of. Do you ever feel that way? I've been on a DIY roll these days, so I've been coming up with creative ways to upcycle them!

Here's my latest creation:

In this post, I’m going to teach you how to make a ribbed wood plant cover using an upcycled gelato cup and some basic wood dowels.

Grab a round plastic container

You’ll need a round plastic container like my gelato example (other foods use these containers as well). Keep in mind, the container also needs to have straight sides. Otherwise, this project won’t work.

Glue dowels to the container

By either applying glue to the dowels or directly to the container itself, attach the dowels. Butt the flat top of the dowel to the underside of the screw top lip.

Line the dowels up perfectly parallel to one another. Otherwise, the dowels begin spiraling outward like on my first attempt:

If this does happen, locate where the alignment started to go off — on mine, it was a glob of glue that pushed its way out from between two dowels and skewed them. Then pull off all the dowels from that point forward and reapply with correct alignment.

Spray paint your plant cover

Once all of your dowels are attached, spray paint the entire thing inside and out. I used two thin layers.

It goes without saying that you should choose whatever color you like. I’m a sucker for black but this plant cover would also be beautiful in brights, jewel tones or pastels.

Wrap jute twine around the top

To cover the grooves where the cap screws on, wrap the jute twine around the top. Start off by squirting a dot of hot glue at the bottom ridge of the area you’re covering, and secure the beginning of your twine to the container.

Wrap the twine around the container tightly, using as little glue as possible to minimize potential mess.

The exception is the very top edge of the container. You’ll want to conceal the entire edge and the only way to secure the twine well is to apply glue almost the entire way around.

Just go slow, use as little as possible, and only do a tiny bit at a time.

Continue wrapping the twine for several layers to build up the thickness of the jute rim. Bring the depth out to the edge of the dowel so that everything is integrated onto a level plane.

My rim only took three layers but it could vary a bit depending upon how chunky your twine is.

And you’re done!

How beautiful is this? My husband was shocked when I explained how I made it. It now sits proudly on a shelf in our kitchen -- where this whole project started :)

I might need to add this to my easy kitchen DIYs post!

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Brianna at Bloom in the Black

• Wendy Morin
    Wendy Morin

Did you glue the cover to the bottom? I can’t tell...

• Terry
      Terry

you could also (maybe) use the lid at the very bottom. Might take some juggling at first but could help keep the dowels straight.

you could also glue two together, end to end, to go taller. You've opened a pandora's box for my brain. The possibilities are endless.

it really looks very cool! THANK YOU!

• Gloria
    Gloria

Did you actually use the Talenti jar for the example? Mine seem to be shorter and they are even, top to bottom.

• Annette
    Annette

Cute! And yes, I have quite the collection of Talenti jars which I have covered in canvas and painted scenes on...I even line some of the jars with felt, for a container in which I could place a hand painted ornament to give as a gift.

• April
    April

Do you use only for artificial plants? Or did you put drain hole in the bottom? And, if so, what did you put under it? Cute idea. Thanks!

• Thanks April! I use real plants actually! I keep the plant in the nursery pot and take that out to water. I let it drain well before putting it back into the plant cover.

If you wanted to plant directly into the cover, you could simply add a layer of loose gravel to the bottom for drainage.

Hope that helps!